PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever heard of a worn out brake cam?

Zach
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
the cam in my rear brake assembly on my 1985 200m seems to be worn out. I just put new shoes on have had to screw with the adjustment for about 10 times and even with the brakes fully applied it doesnt have the stopping force it should (it wont lock the back wheels up) it also seems to have a very difficult time letting the rear brakes disengage after they have really been applied hard. I know either way I am going to have to take them apart again, but was wondering if anyone has heard of that cam wearing out. I was thinking if this is the case I was wondering if anyone knew if that cam is cast or just regular steel? I was thining of laying a thin bead of weld to build the cam up a little on each side then shaping it down a little with a grinder. Any input would be appreciated. I am working 2 jobs now and trying to pick up a third so my trike is being built on a budget. Thanks to anyone interested enough to still be reading this. - Zach

zppeacock
11-02-2009, 09:44 AM
did you put new springs on it with the new shoes?

fabiodriven
11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Take the arm off the shaft and move it up a couple splines. Simple as that.

Zach
11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
new shoes didnt come with new springs so I took my side cutters and removed a couple coils from the spring on the brake cam side just to make it a little more stiff of a return. I also lubed all the pivot points very lightly with anti seize. and I wish it was as simple as moving the arm a couple of splines. I have moved it at least a dozen times to find just the right point where it will stop but not go so far as to cam over and not want to release the brakes. the old brake shoes were badly worn into the metal on the cam side. Also I dont really think it is a worn out brake drum. the drum itself doesnt really even look too worn. Though I guess looks can deceive. having no money and having to improvise sucks sometimes.

harryredtrike
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
the more probable culprit, is the hub where the shoes make contact.it doesnt take much to take them out of spec.

Zach
11-02-2009, 11:11 AM
ok in all my searching I dont remember seeing one of those hubs for sale. Is this something I would have to get directly from Honda?

harryredtrike
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
you need number 5 right?

Pafrig
11-02-2009, 12:20 PM
New drums Cost alot. I would run some beads with a work hardening torch rod. So the more you file it down, the harder it gets.

zppeacock
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I picked up a drum for my 84 bigred off ebay and one for my trx for about 20 a peice

aldochina
11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
ya, most likely your drum is worn , they do have a service limit, take it out and measure it. They can be pricey, but if your patient you can find one on ebay. I think several machines run the same drum. I never heard of new pads not coming with springs, musta been some cheepo's.

hondahaulic
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
if the cam really does look worn, I would probably build it up with weld as you said if you want a cheap fix. Worst case, you'll have to grind it back down or get a new one. My brake shoes don't come with new springs either, and I get new springs at a hardware store. The old ones get rusty and tired, and I'm sure the ones I pick out are quite a bit stronger than stock.

Zach
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah harry #5 is what I need, they were a set of Emgo shoes I got from my local used bike parts store. They were only $10 so I can make do with no new springs. Im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a new drum but until then I think I may lay a little metal down onto that cam to build it up to really get some good braking. Thanks for all the info and input guys.

Tri-z addict
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Yes i've had a worm drum cam!!!! it looked perfect and i just couldnt get a good rear brake! it was on a 86 kx80, new shoes,springs and still a junk brake,
i found a kawasaki dealer who had a new cam in stock, fitted that and wow!!! what a difference the original one didnt even look worn.....:naughty: