PDA

View Full Version : plz help with rear axle(250r)

07classic chop
10-31-2009, 02:20 AM
hello,i am new to this forum and i dont even no yet if i am posting this in the right place,.....but anyway...i am from pittsburgh pa....always have bikes...this is my second trike....1st was a 200x...this one i just got yesterday is a 1986 250r....it needs back bearings...i have done this before on my banshee and warriors...never on a honda...i have the wheels and spindles off....both of the axle nuts are loose(the skinny one and the cap nut looking thing)...the problem i am having is that there is this lip on the axle right where i have to take the nuts off...when i unscrew that cap nut...it just gos to that lip...hits it ...then thats it....is there a O-ring clip in that lip?....i am missing something...i just need the missing link....any help out there for me?:beer

MonroeMike
10-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the board.

Here's the missing link you seek.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc250r_85-86_servicemanual.pdf

mike1979
10-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Run the nuts all the way towards the swing arm, then you should be able to slide the collar the same direction. Under that collar is a ring that clips on the axle. take that ring off and everything SHOULD slide right off.

ORRRRRRRR If it is like my 350X you will have to cut it all off LOL

07classic chop
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
thx for all of your help............

07classic chop
11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
hello,i am new to this forum and i dont even no yet if i am posting this in the right place,.....but anyway...i am from pittsburgh pa....always have bikes...this is my second trike....1st was a 200x...this one i just got yesterday is a 1986 250r....it needs back bearings...i have done this before on my banshee and warriors...never on a honda...i have the wheels and spindles off....both of the axle nuts are loose(the skinny one and the cap nut looking thing)...the problem i am having is that there is this lip on the axle right where i have to take the nuts off...when i unscrew that cap nut...it just gos to that lip...hits it ...then thats it....is there a O-ring clip in that lip?....i am missing something...i just need the missing link....any help out there for me?:beer
Ok...first i need to say a super thanx to mike and monromike for hooking me up with that shop manual....(is awsome to have)..second....i have another question...i have everything off the back axle...both nuts(skinny and cap nut)(the little lip retainer and the c-clip ring)back brake rotor...sprocket is off on the other side(spindel for the drive chain spocket is still on...i think thats the only thing that is supposed to stay on the axle at all....u pull the axle out from the chain and sprocket side...(right)?...i have the one bolt out that holds the carrier in the hub and the 2 alen head bolts on each side of the back hub....it will slide back and fourth like a half inch or so...i can see the rubber band like deal that gos around the carrier bearing when it slides in and out (BUT THE SPINDEL THAT HOLDS THE BACK BRAKE ROTOR ON IS WHAT IS GIVING ME THE PROBLEM...JUST WONT COME OFF)had heat on it forever....see the side towards the wheel is sloted for the spline gears on the axle and the back side of it is gold and has a little bit of threads on it(the side by the bearings.....is the brake spline and the threads 2 different pc.`s?.......or all 1 pc.???....need help....im getting ready to whipp out the sawzaw pretty soon.....................any help would be great........thx....(i also took the snap ring off of the brkt. that holds the rear caliper on to...can spin that whole brkt. around 360 degrees....still the spindel wont budge.....