PDA

View Full Version : $150 Atc 70 / new Project

gasoline and whiskey
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
I have been thinking about getting a 70 for some time & finally came across one
for cheap. (people usually ask a lot of money for these where i live)
I got her for $150 and managed to get her running with a little electrical trouble shooting. its missing fenders and seat & someone went spraypaint crazy on it , but I think it has potential , Im gonna try and do this one up nice, what do you think?

bigred44
10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Looks like you've got a good foundation to a nice restore project. I'm still kicking myself for passing up on a complete atc 70 for $100.

MonroeMike
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Good find.

harryredtrike
10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
nice pick up for 150.keep us:beer updated on your progress

Autophysn
10-30-2009, 03:41 AM
nice, I like it! good price too, they for some decent $$$ here too, can't really find anything under $400

gasoline and whiskey
11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the interest everyone, I will post progress ,
I started by taking the entire bike apart! I want to powdercoat as many things as I can... including the gastank. Only problem is my tank has a side dent in it where the forks have hit it. I hear that this is a common problem on 70's (i will be welding in a larger fork stop to prevent this ) I have stripped the paint of off the forks and gastank, and done some body work on the tank with hi temp filler. Im praying that it holds up to the powder coating process without burning???

got tires, plastics , bearings , and a bunch of other things on the way from Dr. ATV too .

gasoline and whiskey
11-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I got my tank and forks back from the powdercoater, It worked!

(the filler used to repair the tank gave them a little trouble, but to my eye
the results are 95% perfect)

I'm so stoked on this project now, I'm gonna work on the tires/rims tonite..

MudBug
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
cant wait to see it finished! are you getting a lifan? or sticking with the stock motor?

MonroeMike
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
They look good.

harryredtrike
11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
is the top of the tank dented in?looks good though,should be a beaut

gasoline and whiskey
11-04-2009, 04:25 PM
the tank is pretty straight, (it looks funny in the photo because of the reflection)
I hope powder coat was the right choice on this... I thought it would hold up to gas better than paint?

as far as engines go I was going to use the stock one .... but now I dont know,
i have been reading about all the posts on here about 110cc motors in these.
it sounds like fun
& it just so happens that I have an extra atc 110cc motor (that
needs a rebuild) thing is its the 4 speed with the hi / lo range swith,
do you guys think the honda 110 motor w hi/lo would give me less performance than the 110 Lifan?

AutoXer
11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
yes the lifan would be more powerful ..... especially a 160cc lifan hehehe

Henry89
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
the tank is pretty straight, (it looks funny in the photo because of the reflection)
I hope powder coat was the right choice on this... I thought it would hold up to gas better than paint?

as far as engines go I was going to use the stock one .... but now I dont know,
i have been reading about all the posts on here about 110cc motors in these.
it sounds like fun
& it just so happens that I have an extra atc 110cc motor (that
needs a rebuild) thing is its the 4 speed with the hi / lo range swith,
do you guys think the honda 110 motor w hi/lo would give me less performance than the 110 Lifan?

This (http://stores.wholesale-cycle.com/-strse-520/Pit-Bike%2Chonda%2C-crf50%2C-klx110%2C/Detail.bok) is the motor I'm installing in my 70 project. Check the site for other engine choices. The 140cc motor will bolt in the 70 frame. It's just the intake and the carb you'll need to mod a little for clearance of the tank. I've heard that the 125cc motor bolts right in without any mods. My cousin has the 125cc motor in his 70 and it's a blast to ride. Your 70 is looking good. My frame, forks and a few other items are on there way to the powder coaters also. Can't wait to get it done.

gasoline and whiskey
11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
thanks for the info Henry,
The piranha engines on that site look like good quality, I like the fact that the carbs are name brand an not unmarked chinese ones. the Dr Atv lifans come with no name carbs. I will check for posts of your project It sounds cool!

....as far as my progress, I worked on it alot this weekend. I now have a roller!
I fought with the Old rims the most, ( I hate 2 piece rims) but got new tires mounted up with new seals and stems. I installed new bearings front and back,
and converted headset bearings to the sealed type instead of all of those loose balls!

I am going to put the stock motor in it for a few weeks (because I am dying to ride it) while I work out my big engine choice.
Im just gonna put in a new set of points condenser etc... (check out how bad the condenser looks)

harryredtrike
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
looking good dude,those little things are fun as heck

MonroeMike
11-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Nice progress.