PDA

View Full Version : performance options for an SX / ES

MudBug
10-24-2009, 07:14 PM
over the winter if I get some money im going to crack into my other big red. im thinking about getting as much power out of it as I can (on a budget) I dont think i could get it bored out, or stroked. so I was thinking in the line of exhausts, valves, cams, air filters, carbs? Im open to any ideas! ;)

MagicJames
10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I think stock exhaust is best, if i was going to go aftermarket, i would probably go Supertrapp. You can get a high performance cam. Air filter is not really going to boost your performance enough to notice.
As far as that goes, I don't think you can really pull the performance out of a 250sx... it wasn't really designed to go fast, if that's what you're trying to do.

MudBug
10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
well, I didnt know you could get a supertrapp for the bike do anyone have a link? and I was also going to put a 350X carb on it also. Im not really trying to make it fast, just some more spunk if ya know what I mean ;)

MudBug
10-24-2009, 09:27 PM
I was thinking 350X carb, uni air filter, supertrapp pipe with a cobra headpipe, a web camshaft, high perf piston and rings, heavy duty valves, a clutch rebuild and ill run it on supreme gas with octane boost

now thats a big, powerful red :D

85Tecate
10-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I think stock exhaust is best, if i was going to go aftermarket, i would probably go Supertrapp. You can get a high performance cam. Air filter is not really going to boost your performance enough to notice.
As far as that goes, I don't think you can really pull the performance out of a 250sx... it wasn't really designed to go fast, if that's what you're trying to do.

Any motor can go fast if you got the time and money. Its just a matter if finding the right combinations of performance parts. I would start with head work and cam. Port/polish, oversized valves titanium retainers heavier springs, then go with a STOCK bore for reliability with a high comp piston and maybe shave the head if you want to get creative. Run it on 110 octane :D:D

Thorpe
10-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Find a 300es 4 wheeler in 2 wheel drive, take the motor, and start there... I had the dream of building a big power BR, but for what you gain, its not worth what you pay... IMO

daniel_250r
10-25-2009, 01:23 AM
i would just buy an R to feed your speed cravings. honestly you are going to deep over your head in cash. even if you manage to crank out some mega power its still a utility trike and will always handle like one

Honda_Dude
10-25-2009, 05:49 AM
You won't ever gain much on top end. The shaft drive is a limiting factor. You'll get there quicker though.

MudBug
10-25-2009, 11:34 AM
I just want a nice bit more power and a good sound. My big red is tired, 3rd gear has no power on bottom - mid range. I really wanted to wake her up and feel a big difference. fast isnt really my thing but I want quick useable power

oscarmayer
10-25-2009, 11:57 AM
rebuild your top end, stock piston will be fine, get a mild cam from web, and then get an exhaust, carb and k&n and call it a day.after that it gets really expensive!!!!!!!! Also look at replacing the clutch with a heady duty on eand better clutch springs.

ilmoakw
10-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I pit a webcam and uni filter on my es. With the correct jetting there is a noticable improvement....

this guy
10-25-2009, 04:31 PM
When shopping for a cam make sure you get the grind you want, when a company says stage 1 that is normally a torque grind or low to mid power delivery, which sounds like what you want not more speed but more yank. Stage 2 is normally mid to top. As far as an exhaust goes, FMF has a "universal" which is the old megamax and there are a few White brothers E serries floating around out there, if you can find the E serries get it!!!! Once you have your exhaust selected, remove your airbox lid(out here we just chop them up) use a free flowing air filter be it foam or fabric, one thing about the K&N is though they flow a lot of air they also don't filter any either, use an outer wear. If you want even more yank, go with the higher compression piston or as stated above, deck the head and clean up the ports. If you do all of this you will be out running the performance that your suspension and stock tires can handle. Look into getting your suspension done, a good shop should be able to do both ends for around $300 stiffer springs, heavier oil and better seals. You will want to consider going to tires with less side wall flex(betterslides:D ). Good luck and keep us posted.

MudBug
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Ive tried the open airbox thing, I dont like that kind of "drowning" and echoing sound it makes. If I do anything with this bike ill have a thread up on it.