PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke timing

honda200
08-05-2003, 09:41 PM
I need help, I have a 2 stroke kawi 100, the timing is off, alot, it wants to fire when its a BDC (bottom dead centre) So, yea, the fly wheel and stator only go on one way, so, i know its not that, but how do you fix it? please help, i want to have it going by the weekend and its already tuesday.

Curtis

200x Basket
08-05-2003, 09:50 PM
that is the only way to adjust spark on a two stroke. your bike has some issues. be sure you got it right and all the wiring properly connected.

honda200
08-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Its all hooked up right, I am positive, because it will start and run for about 25 or 30 seconds, and when you rev it, it aint lazy, it just goes instantly, so, maybe, i will have to look again.

Curtis

200x Basket
08-06-2003, 04:28 AM
is this a new bike to you? my tecate did the same thing. i tried 3 different ignitions and the problem was a clogged exhaust pipe.

honda200
08-06-2003, 10:41 AM
nope, its a used exhaust, i cleaned out with compressed air, but, its sparkin when the piston is at ABDC (After Bottom Dead Centre) so, it aint gettin the compression of the fuel mix to burn well, we first thought it was a carb problem, but we checked the timing by putting a wire down the cylinder port while slowly kickin it over and it fired when the pistons down, so, i am not sure if the fly wheel would difference, it only goes on one way, but what about the stator plate? would that make a difference? or am I in way over my head (like everything now a days)

Please help, I am hoping to go on a ride this weekend with the old man and my bro.

Curtis

TimSr
08-06-2003, 12:21 PM
When it runs the first 20-30 seconds, before it does, how does it run?

I doubt your timing could be that far off, unless the stator plate was installed 180 degrees out, or if you had an old model with points, but I dont thing it would even run. Also if it will run, for the first 20-30 seconds before dying, I really doubt its a timing problem at all. I dont fully understand your test method for determining the timing, but from the way you have described it, I question the accuracy of your testing method. Two strokes are usually only timed by slotted screw holes for holding on the stator plate, (in those models that even have slotted holes) and by point gap in older models. A timing light could eliminate this possibility, but it really doesnt sound like a timing problem to me.

Rockthunder
08-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Did you replace the flywheel key? If its nicked bent it will throw timing off a bit.

jonus079
08-07-2003, 12:00 AM
it could be the keyway. it has happened to my kx125 and the thing sounded like a bomb when i kicked it over