PDA

View Full Version : How to install Rings - 350x

Bob225
10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
I purchased new rings for my trike. I the manual shows that the lower ring has a tapper and the upper one does not. Well I can not see one bit of difference between them other than one has a slightly larger ID than the other. How can I tell? These are OEM rings.

MonroeMike
10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Top ring is usually shiny or has a shiny edge, 2nd ring is normally all black. The marking on the ring faces up.

The markings are right near the end gap, very small.

Bob225
10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
OK I'll try and take a closer look. I'll have to take the jug off again. Both rings had a letter stamped on them (can't remember which one, not T) and they both were facing "up"

MonroeMike
10-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I have seen them with T, P, and R, depends on the manufacturer, I guess.

Bob225
10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I think I have them right Mike as I believe the shinnier one was on top. What happens if they are reversed?

Dirtcrasher
10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
^ perfect response Mikey!!

Top or compression ring is nearly always shiny, next one is dull. I wish they all had marks to point up but they don't. I've even gone so far as to use a eye loop to try and find a slight relief on the ring to know which way to face it.

The oil ring can sometimes be a bugger, put the center ring in and then put the upper and lower ring in place.

I stagger the ring openings something like this:

Top ring at 2PM, next ring at 10PM, oil ring retainer at 6PM and the upper and lower oil rings at 4PM and 8PM.

It's fairly important to get that stuff staggered. It WILL run anyway you guys put them in but I do something like I posted above........

When I try to put the cylinder on alone, I put the piston and rings IN the cylinder with one clip in the piston (hard side) then I slide it down over the rod and pop in the wrist pin and then the other clip (with rags in the lower end in case it pops out) It usually pops out the 1st 2 tries for most people :D

I find it easier than trying to get each ring inside the cylinder as you slide the jug over the piston already on the rod.....

It's what works for me, plenty of people damage rings jamming them into the sleeve and if it's bored over 1MM, the relief/taper on the bottom of the sleeve is pretty small compared to a thicker walled sleeve/liner.

Hope that made some sense :D

MonroeMike
10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
I would suspect loss of compression and blowby.

Make sure they are clocked right too.

Here's a good read

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/pcrops.htm

Edit - DC's in the house...

Bob225
10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for link on article. Rings were clocked right. Using the Honda service manual.