PDA

View Full Version : Fork swap - ATC 200M 84 to 85

cox
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Ok i had a thread posted about my wiring gremlins i have been having. I am trying to switch the good front end of a 85 atc 200M chaindrive to a 84 atc 200m Shafty. The ignition on the 84 is busted out so i was going to use the ignition from the 85 which is in great shape. Upon tear down, the physical size of the key switch on the HUD is different and wiring is different. There is no reverse light either. i have isolated where the wiring goes with my clymer manual, and was hoping someone would double check what ive done here so i dont go chopping up wires for nothing. wiring the key should be as follows?

84 ------------------85
Black -------------- Black/White
Darkgreen -------- Darkgreen
Red ---------------- Red
Red/Yellow --------- Black

pic of the 84's wires
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/HPIM3227.jpg
pic of the 85's wires
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Bodar/HPIM3226.jpg

Everything else is the same wiring wise from what i can see. If anyone can help me out here that would be sweet.

Cheers,
Cox

1984ATC200S
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
the shaft drive 200 is an ES not an M, and they changed the wiring in 85, i no that's not really any help, but it may make it clearer

oscarmayer
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
look at my site to see about a possible manual. link in my sig.

green is usually power and black ground.
then hook red to red and then w/blk to yellow/red that may work. i had to do some rigging on mine too. test lite and volt meter with curcite testor for conenction worked great!

cox
10-19-2009, 11:04 PM
yes i knew it was an es i just never put that. i am aware of the differences between the two. i have the full wiring diagrams for both trikes. i was hoping someone who has done this maybe or has had electrical experience to look at the diagrams.

cox
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
bumpity bump

3wheeledjunkie
12-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Green on the older bikes is almost always ground. Black was used for misc. power. I know for a fact the Handlebars switch wires (coming from the switch) on the 84-85 200M's are different. I don't know about the wires coming from the harness. If you have a reverse light. the dash isn't a 200M, probly a Big Red. So are you swapping harnesses or? I'll double check your wring in the morning.