PDA

View Full Version : whats better time sert or helicoil

Escanabajosh
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
i'm planning on fixing the 1/2" threaded tapper for a oil plug that came on my 250sx.....it worked for a little while but now it leaks like crazy. i picked up the new drain plug and washer (around $2.50, i figure sweet ain't gunna cost much to fix!)

so i started to price the time sert and they want $100 for the kit! helicoil is like $50. i read the "how-to" threads on here about the two but since i'm laid off right now so i don't have much money let alone $100 for a tool i won't use much.

any ideas or tips? i put a add on CL for a used one....but i got $50 and i wanted to do it today.

i58829
10-19-2009, 12:17 PM
keen-serts are pretty affordable, and they use std threads, i dont know how well it work for a drain plug but if you ground it down so it didn't stick up and plug sat flush on the case i think it would be fine. Then you can just use a std tap.

Try calling a local engine builder or machine shop. Worst case you can switch it to SAE and use something readily available for plumbing if you're in a bind...

atc500x
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
If you have a 1/2 thread now,you can bought a M14x1.25or1.5 tap and do new thread with a new plug,or go to M16x1.25 or 1.5.

MDFMac
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM
that is way to much money for what your tring to do

try a good local truck garage they normally have what you would need.

Dirtcrasher
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Every time you need a thread fixed, get a kit (if you can afford one). In time you have 6 kits that fit 90% of all threads!!

Nope, not cheap but neither is the part with the junk thread.

I love helicoils, never had one fail (DC knocks on wood) and many times, I buy the tap, coils and already have the drill in my index and wind in the helicoil with a small flat blade screwdriver. So it costs me 15$ for the tap give or take and the coils are either under a 1$ or a bit more. I buy packs of 10 of the coils. Or you can buy 5 kits at 45-65$ a kit........... :D

So I can pay 100$ for all 5 normally sized taps and an assortment of helicoils, if I don't need a pretty box/chart and drill bit.

ANY fully walled insert is gonna be optimum over a coil, but the Helicoils work just fine IMHO.........

MagicJames
10-19-2009, 11:33 PM
If you go to advance auto, they have kits for $20-$30. You can buy the tap and everything for your specific size.

SWIGIN
10-19-2009, 11:38 PM
helicoils are great, just fixed my drain plug with one.

like DC said, i never had one fail.

ceaserthethird
10-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Time Sert -

300rman
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
just re-tap to the next size up bolt.......

Maico
10-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Time Serts

Escanabajosh
10-21-2009, 11:10 AM
well the guy at the parts store saved me a few bucks. showed me somthing called a piggy back drain plug. it's a bolt a little bigger then 1/2" and it self taps into the hole. the middle of that bolt is drilled out and has a smaller bolt in it that you remove to drain the oil. cost $10 even for the bolt and a tube of loctite.

i'm giving it a try. right next to the oil drain hole there is a little raised part, can i grind that down and not affect anything? figure i better ask befor i do! the piggyback plug is bigger and will hit that raised part so it won't seal up tight. i have a angle grinder and was going to make it as close to level with the case.....

Mosh
10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Just get the helicoil kit and do it right.

That 10$ Hokey part could ruin a set of 400$ cases.

Escanabajosh
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
i wanted to do the helicoil but i just didn't have the extra cash. i ended up using a small cold chisle and removed the little lip and then sanded down the little that was left. i ran the bolt thru,then took it out and put some lock tite on. seams to have worked perfect. snugged up real good. i'm letting the loctite sit for a few hours till i add oil. if it don't leak, it will have been worth it i think.

TrailerRider
10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I use helicoil but I am curious what your talking about? Got alink or pic or name etc? This would be a good thing to keep in my toolbox when out on the road or riding. A quick fix to get ya home..

Escanabajosh
10-21-2009, 03:39 PM
this should bring ya right to the web site. i bought it at carquest for a little over $5. the washer they gave with the plug is small so the guy behind the counter gave me a little bigger plastic washer. i havent put the oil in yet but it seams like it will work good. i whouldn't ever have to take out the big one so it's kinda like a external helicoil.....i guess. the guy at fastanal said helicoils might back out taking the plug out, don't have to worry about that with this thing, just put a wrench on the big one if the small one is on to tight so it don't back the whole thing out.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=ddpBNkjOtahMbRhf012025161969052174&item=65208&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=65208&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

Mosh
10-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I have seen those used on Chrysler Cirrus Oil pans.

The usually pull the threads of the outer potion, out smooth, the first time someone over torques the middle drain bolt.When you go to loosen the center drain bolt, it backs the adapter out, and the pan usually gets damaged beyond repair.
Then the remaining hole, is too large to helicoil, then it is new oil pan time.

Not trying to be negative, and I hope it works well for you.
But, I have yet to see a helicoil fail.
And even if they do, there is still material left, to do another heli coil after that even.
Our ATC 90 has had the spark plug heli-coiled in for 2 years with no issues. And I know my footpeg helicoils have held up for over 4 years.

Escanabajosh
10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
ya i understand,i wanted to do it what way but i just didn't have the cash. i called a local shop ($60) and priced the kits (no place in town had the size, called 6-7 places) told me it would be anywheres from 50-100+ bucks and had to be ordered!

i put the 1/2 bolt that they had in there and the bolt thing the guy sold me side by side and the 1/2 was a smidge smaller so i didn't even think that bolt would work.

i tried threading that bolt in just a little and it seamed to be grabing so i put some grease on it and worked it like a tap a little at a time and backed it out. ran a qt thru, cleaned it up, put a little loc tite on it and (with the plastic washer the guy gave me) i snugged it up. added oil, started it up and let it run a bit. no leaks so far. i'm surpirsed how nice that bolt snugged up. i did have to remove that little raised lip though for it to snug up.

i got worried when i put the skidpan on i though it was gunna be sticking out but it just clears by like a 1/4". they say ya gotta replace the little O-ring every oil change but them are cheap.

not somthing i'm going to make regular practice of though.with hunting season soon i needed it running asap.
i'm going to buy the tools or hire out when i do my 350x build. the sx is for hunting and ice fishing.

harryredtrike
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Every time you need a thread fixed, get a kit (if you can afford one). In time you have 6 kits that fit 90% of all threads!!

Nope, not cheap but neither is the part with the junk thread.

I love helicoils, never had one fail (DC knocks on wood) and many times, I buy the tap, coils and already have the drill in my index and wind in the helicoil with a small flat blade screwdriver. So it costs me 15$ for the tap give or take and the coils are either under a 1$ or a bit more. I buy packs of 10 of the coils. Or you can buy 5 kits at 45-65$ a kit........... :D

So I can pay 100$ for all 5 normally sized taps and an assortment of helicoils, if I don't need a pretty box/chart and drill bit.

ANY fully walled insert is gonna be optimum over a coil, but the Helicoils work just fine IMHO.........

i with D.C.on that one