PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Honda 110

1985BigRed250ES
10-17-2009, 08:43 PM
I have been restoring a '80 110 ATC. In the process of restoring it, I had to swap the heads out due to the old one being stripped. the head that I purchased had the CDI setup in it. my atc has the points setup. I had that swapped out at an atv shop. while it was there I had the timing chain changed. I got it mostly back together now except for the muffler and seat. The first spark plug was new and it lasted two weeks. I wasnt fouled, just would no longer fire. I purchased another new NGK D8HA plug from oreillys and it has lasted until two weeks ago(last time it ran). It was kinda sooted but not fouled. I did clean the plug and it will not fire. I put in a "test" plug and it ran great. the plug that came out of the ATC was checked with a meter and it shows to have continuity(sp?) through it. It refuses to fire on the plug. it will only run on the test plug which is a plug I borrowed from grandfathers bigred, take into account that I didnt screw the "test" plug all the way in. My question is: What could be causing the ATC to go through spark plugs? any help will be appreciated. I do have a manual.

1985BigRed250ES
10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
oh BTW I am also running it without the muffler, can that have an effect on the plugs?

MudBug
10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
without the whole exhaust or without the muffler itself?

Vealmonkey
10-18-2009, 01:34 AM
I don't know if the muffler would expect the spark plug, but it isn't healthy for your valves. At least find some kind of universal muffler for it and give it a little back pressure. Also a straight through pipe is more than likely hurting your performance, your exhaust needs a measure of backpressure.

85Tecate
10-18-2009, 02:11 AM
I ran a straight pipe on a YTM200. Ran the piss out of it but did seize the engine up 3 times. I think it was due to a 40 over bore and lack of oil to the top end. The cam bearings are what seized. Anyways, it ran perfectly fine other than that. Not sure exactly what caused it.

1985BigRed250ES
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't know if the muffler would expect the spark plug, but it isn't healthy for your valves. At least find some kind of universal muffler for it and give it a little back pressure. Also a straight through pipe is more than likely hurting your performance, your exhaust needs a measure of backpressure.

I will try to get the muffler repaired soon so that I can put it back on the ATC. I am running it with just a pipe and no muffler. Could it be firing too hot, causing the plug to burn out? is that even possible?