PDA

View Full Version : 81 250R Axle Help

Useless
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Gentlemen, I am trying to get some info on swapping a durablue extended axle from on 82 into an 81 250R.

Has anyone done the swap or does anyone have any info about how to do it?

200xman
10-16-2009, 08:22 PM
It won't work as they are 2 completely different axles. The 81 has 3 rear bearings, 1 in the drum and 2 in the swinger where the 82 only has 2. The only way it would work is if you swapped in a complete 82 swingarm and disc brake setup. You would then have to modify the frame to make spots for the disc brake master and rezzy.

Useless
10-17-2009, 04:52 AM
It won't work as they are 2 completely different axles. The 81 has 3 rear bearings, 1 in the drum and 2 in the swinger where the 82 only has 2. The only way it would work is if you swapped in a complete 82 swingarm and disc brake setup. You would then have to modify the frame to make spots for the disc brake master and rezzy.

Thanks for the info. :beer

At this point, I don't want to convert to the disc brake setup.

Durablue said someone had done the conversion but didn't have any info on what they had to do to it. I'm not against getting the Durablue machined.

trikerooster
10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
TRUE, My brother has an 81' and he decided to run the drum because of that!
Maybe you could buy a swinger on ebay. I have an 82' and I want to put a 83-84 axl on it so that I have more gear ratios than(13-44). I need a little more top speed.
I think the guy that I bought my bike from cut and welded my swinger(It looks pro). It was gold and said Pro-Link, but it was longer than stock and had 2 positions for the shock and has no linkage??

Useless
10-20-2009, 02:13 PM
TRUE, My brother has an 81' and he decided to run the drum because of that!
Maybe you could buy a swinger on ebay. I have an 82' and I want to put a 83-84 axl on it so that I have more gear ratios than(13-44). I need a little more top speed.
I think the guy that I bought my bike from cut and welded my swinger(It looks pro). It was gold and said Pro-Link, but it was longer than stock and had 2 positions for the shock and has no linkage??

Thankfully, through good friends, I ran across a Johnny's Speed extended swinger for an '81. That swingarm needs to be used.

It doesn't sound to me like you have a stock swinger. My 82 swinger is an ugly red thing with 1 mount. :wondering

Here is one link for a 41T rear sprocket--http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/KS003829.html

sledpartsguy at eBay is always good to help too.

I have had great luck with Sprocket Specialties, but their page wont load for me today.

trikerooster
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Damn, thanks man. I almost want to take it off a post pics. I need to get new bearings, but I don't know anything about it.

trikerooster
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
How in the hell did you find that? I have been looking for years!
You made my whole day man!
I thought my woman was going to be pulling past me with her new 450.