PDA

View Full Version : 185s no spark?

kyle
08-04-2003, 07:38 PM
My buddy has a 1982 Honda 185s and the other day we were riding and all of the sudden it quit running then it would not start again. We started checking wires with a multi meter and everything appears to be good. We checked and we are getting no spark. Any suggestions?????

200x Basket
08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
pull the little cover that says "CDI" off and try to start it. does it turn? if not that may be your problem.
chris

kyle
08-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Yes, i already pulled the CDI cover off, seems to be working fine.

Dave
08-05-2003, 12:15 AM
I just had this problem with a 81 185s .. not saying yours is the same .. but could be. My machine did not die while running, it died somehow while parked a couple days.

Under the CDI cover is the spark advancer. It looks like a rotor with a couple points... be sure to clean it up where it has constant contact and the tiny springs are in tact .. if you sand it be careful not to leave any sand behind to obstruct contacts. If this doesnt work, try to *borrow* one of these assemblies from a running machine and try it in yours to see if it starts... I just got through this problem .. it took several days of tinkering to figure it out.

You could also have a problem with the kill switch.. As another person suggested to me ... disconnect it under the headlight and try turning it over.

In the end I could see no visual spark .. my machine didnt start until I towed it and it popped right off.

Good Luck

AirManCam
08-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Try the coil

'86X
08-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Just keep senselessly throwing part after part at until it starts :D

AirManCam
08-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Try the coil first before you put that much money in it. LOL.

Howdy
08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Things to check:

Spark plug ( I have seen new plugs that were junk )

Check the spark plug boot for cracks or bad connections.

Check the exciter coil: It's the black with red striped wire from the stator. It needs to be 215-240 ohms. If not replace the exciter coil.

Unplug the black with white striped wire from the kill switch and check for spark. If you get spark it's the switch.

Check all connections and wires to be sure they are getting good contact.

Check the CDI pick up coil ( on the end of the cam ). Check it for correct timing / spacing.

Check the Advancer unit on the end of the cam to see if it turns without the motor. Also check to see if the springs and little tabs are intact.

Check the CDI module mounted to the frame.

I hope one of the above helps you out.
Howdy

Dave
08-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Howdy ...

I know what the book says with the *215-240* on the coil BUT we have 3 of these machines here that all currently read at 196-198 and are running fine. I replaced one recently when I thought I had a coil prob .. the new one read 197.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, or imply the info is bad, Just trying to save someone a few bucks.

On occasion, the books can throw us off.

Howdy
08-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Howdy ...

I know what the book says with the *215-240* on the coil BUT we have 3 of these machines here that all currently read at 196-198 and are running fine. I replaced one recently when I thought I had a coil prob .. the new one read 197.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, or imply the info is bad, Just trying to save someone a few bucks.

On occasion, the books can throw us off.

Yea, some will run with a lower ohm reading. How ever to get the best spark and running ability 215-240 ohms is where it should be. I only mentioned this because he isn't getting spark. When I'm working on a machine at the shop I do not check the exciter coil unless there is a problem with the spark ( no spark, weak spark, or spark plug fouling ). Once in a great while I will replace a exciter coil and it don't help. I just simply put the original back in.

Just like you I do not like to spend money unless it is needed. It don't grow on trees here either. lol ;) ;)
Howdy

AirManCam
08-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Things to check:

Spark plug ( I have seen new plugs that were junk )

Check the spark plug boot for cracks or bad connections.

Check the exciter coil: It's the black with red striped wire from the stator. It needs to be 215-240 ohms. If not replace the exciter coil.

Unplug the black with white striped wire from the kill switch and check for spark. If you get spark it's the switch.

Check all connections and wires to be sure they are getting good contact.

Check the CDI pick up coil ( on the end of the cam ). Check it for correct timing / spacing.

Check the Advancer unit on the end of the cam to see if it turns without the motor. Also check to see if the springs and little tabs are intact.

Check the CDI module mounted to the frame.

I hope one of the above helps you out.
Howdy
Sounds like you called Mr.ATC :D

kyle
08-06-2003, 04:03 PM
I just want to thank EVERYONE for helping me out here. i have not had the time to mess with the trike, but i think today i am gonna go get the thing running.

Howdy
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you called Mr.ATC :D

I have been working on ATV's for well over 13 years. And I have been giving such advice here years before MRATC even came to the site. I joined in 1999.
He does things his way, and I do things my way. We might not always agree with the way each other does things. But the bottom line is either way they get repaired. It's like going on a drive. You might not take the same path but the destination is the same. hehe ;) ;)

No offence to anyone. Just wanted to clarify things.
Howdy

AirManCam
08-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I know a lot of people have info and its cool to help out.

kyle
08-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Well, today i got the 185 running. We pushed started it and she popped right off. But it would not start by pull start, so i put the old plug in it and now it starts just fine, not too sure what the problem was but it seems to be running alright now. lol

AirManCam
08-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Some times you get bad plugs when you buy them new. I know isnt it bull chit