PDA

View Full Version : big red starter

Daniel 250es
10-13-2009, 12:32 PM
When I took the starter off of my 250es and starter reduction gear the reduction gear and starter gear were all chewed up. I was told it would just happen again because it is eltronically timed. Is this true?

85Tecate
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Who told you that? I've never heard of such a thing. IMO, steer clear from the people who told you that. How can you electronically time a starter reduction gear? And even if you can, how would they do it in the 80's! Its probably wear over time which caused the gears to slip or grind together. Replace all worn/chewed parts and any bushings that are there and you will be just fine.

Daniel 250es
10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Doc's in Lancaster Ohio told me that it is timed by a pulsar and the engine gets a little out of time and you can not time it exactly resulting in those gears getting chewed up. It did cause damage to my flywheel and stator and I did not want to risk it happening again.

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
^ Doc's should be shot :lol:

Lots of times the 250ES/SX starter gears get chewed up by a bad one way clutch. Those motors have 2 of them, one allows the kickstarter to work and then slip/roll by. And the other is behind the flywheel and on a ring gear, it allows the starter to drive it and start the engine, then it freewheels until you need it again.

If junk gets in there, or it's very worn from low oil or allot of miles, it can bind and then the rolling of the vehicle itself and or the motor running eat those reduction gears right up. There very small.......

But, either way, new gears may only fix the issue for a short time. You'll have to remove the left side cover and check out that ring gear and it's one way bearing. Please download a free manual which Monroe Mike will be happy to share with you :beer

MonroeMike
10-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the board.

There's a manual in WCH. :beer

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

Daniel 250es
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
thanks sounds good, I will do a drive by on Doc's tonight

85Tecate
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
thanks sounds good, I will do a drive by on Doc's tonight

Pics or didnt happen.

Daniel 250es
10-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I am a first time user so I forgot :beer mmmmmmmmmm

thanks again very helpful

Daniel 250es
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
One more question will it hurt anything if I take the starter reductuion gear, reduction shaft, and gear out and ride. If the one way clutch is bad.:wondering

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Nope, not in the least.............

It's just that now your relying on the kicker/kicker gears and one way bearing on the other side.

Mine is going bad, I have to change it before they discontinue them.... But, the surface it rides on ALSO wears out and has to be changed too.

Pain in da butt!!

rdlsz24
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
One more question will it hurt anything if I take the starter reductuion gear, reduction shaft, and gear out and ride. If the one way clutch is bad.:wondering

Apparently this is what the previous owner of my Big Red did. I looked at it tonight and I have a starter with messed up teeth on the output shaft, and missing reduction gears. I guess I need to take the left side cover off to see what needs replacing.

Starter teeth:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/BigRed/starter.jpg

No reduction gears:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/BigRed/flywheel_gear.jpg

The kick starter seems to work ok. Is it normal for it to make a ratcheting noise coming back up? Seems very different from my 200x return action.

Rob

rdlsz24
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Anybody know if the kickstarter ratcheting noise is normal, and should that gear in the 2nd pic above be able to spin freely?

Rob