PDA

View Full Version : 350X Exhaust Studs Help Please !!!!

Reeftech
10-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey Guys, I am looking for some advice. I read threw all the post I could find on removing these broken studs, got my welder out, welded on some nuts, and the studs just keep breaking off. Any advice? Should I just drill and tap them or keep trying the welded nut trick(there going be flush pretty soon anyway :mad: :mad:).Any body try the bees wax dripped into the threads, I read about in the tips ? Thanks

shortbus
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Iam having the same prob, but mine need to be re-threaded.

Yamaha_Rules69
10-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Try heating the head where the studs thread in, then try to turn it out. Be sure to use a propane torch, and use a reasonable ammount of heat, but not excessive. You could also dump some cold water on them once they are hot, in an attempt to break free the rust. Good luck, and hope you get them out!

userj8670
10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Im in the same boat pretty much, although i have not attempted mine yet. The nuts are rusted in such away that there is no longer a hex on them...just rounded. Also looks like the rust has 'welded' them onto the head. Im kinda nervous about takin them off... let alone im not sure exactly how...

MonroeMike
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
PB Blaster helps too.

devilman
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
let them soak in some pb blaster, continue to spray a few times a day for a couple days, vise grip the broken stud and turn it out. thats how i got some out of my X. its timely but the result was good for me.

jensenracing77
10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
drill and tap. just don't free hand the drill. you may need helicoils in the end.

MudBug
10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
just drill it. it was the same with my big red. I went through that much bolts from welding them on it was crazy. If they dont come out with heat and some rust-check, it will never come out.

ATCeeya
10-12-2009, 09:56 PM
i drilled and tapped on a 225dx i bought. that was scary...

2 of the 4 broke on my 350x. The welded nut trick worked for one. it broke off the first time but welded again and it came out. Enough was sticking out of the one stud i was able to put some vice grips on it and turn it out.

hit them with PB blaster the day before. then weld the nut back on the stud. then hit it with a little heat. then cross your fingers and try again to get em out.

drilling last option.

harryredtrike
10-13-2009, 12:57 AM
i dont see any penetrating fluid.you need a good soaking several days with heat and they will come out.also try to shock them with a hammer and soak they will come out

Reeftech
10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks, I am going to pick up some pb blast today,and spray them a couple times. I let you know haw it turns out:lol: (turns out)

sandpuppi101
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
I've prolly broke off 2 dozen of those damn stud's in my life just on the 350X motor's alone and on almost every one I had to eventually drill /tap and restud them.I know it suck's but i'm running a near 100% success rate.If you guy's want to I can do the stud's plus send your head's out for rebuild's.I can't give you a price without actually seeing the head's but if anybody's interested call me or PM me .Serious inquiries only please.

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
^ absolutely correct....

Aluminum and steel and heat don't like one another. Use any solvent you wish but they usually rarely release from the aluminum stronghold.

I try to get a double nut threaded on an old one and put a long 50mm or so bolt onto it, then you have a guide when drilling it out. If you watch sided to side, a buddy can watch up and down. It can be done freehand if you are careful, take your time, have good bits and have allot of experience drilling.

If you ever must, have to, get one out dead nuts; Send it to me or anyone else with a mill where we can adjust the head, dial it in and get ANYTHING out!! :D

jensenracing77
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
^ absolutely correct....

Aluminum and steel and heat don't like one another. Use any solvent you wish but they usually rarely release from the aluminum stronghold.

I try to get a double nut threaded on an old one and put a long 50mm or so bolt onto it, then you have a guide when drilling it out. If you watch sided to side, a buddy can watch up and down. It can be done freehand if you are careful, take your time, have good bits and have allot of experience drilling.

If you ever must, have to, get one out dead nuts; Send it to me or anyone else with a mill where we can adjust the head, dial it in and get ANYTHING out!! :D

the mill is the best way. i have a mill attachment for my drill press that works good for alignment also.

mmiguy2103
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
exactly if you can do it yourself bting it to a machine shop.. i charge people like $10 per bolt to get out with my mill. come right out lol

threewheelin-feelin
10-13-2009, 10:53 PM
ok about 6 months ago i ran into this problem...out of the 4 studs i got 2 out the other too i let the machine shop do...believe me it was worth it i spent 12 hours trying to get the 2 out...i sprayed them with about 2 cans of blaster...i also heated them...and i used the tighen loosen method for several hours on both...so try it and see how it works for you...even if you only get 1 or 2 out that reduces the bill at the machine shop...but if you stick to it you will get them all out ...i just dont have the patience

Reeftech
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I just got my motor back from the machine shop,:w00t: they drilled, tapped, and heli-coiled all four holes. It only cost 60.00 bucks, well worth it. Now I am wondering if I should go with oem studs, or stainless bolts, cut to length?

Dirtcrasher
10-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I use fully threaded SS bolts, chopped the head off and used SS nuts and washers on the stud I make.....

Zinc coated plain fastners will seize up again in time.

You got out of that very cheap!!

oldtime3wheeler
10-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Thats the next thing I have to fix on my motor. Everytime I think about ripping it apart I end up wanting to go riding.

MonroeMike
10-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Looks good.

Reeftech
10-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks DC, I am going to look for some stainless hardware tomorrow.

jensenracing77
10-30-2009, 05:31 AM
use anti seize on the threads and it won't matter if you use stainless or standard bolts. i have used both and with anti seize i never had any trouble.

Dirtcrasher
10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
You may have trouble finding them long enough.

I have a bag of 50 in zinc coating (screwed up my order...)

And I think I bought 25 that were 50 or so mm long in 316SS....

SWIGIN
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
use anti seize on the threads and it won't matter if you use stainless or standard bolts. i have used both and with anti seize i never had any trouble.

^ this

also, if they are looking bad pull them out BEFORE they are one with your head.