PDA

View Full Version : whats the trick to getting the triple trees off?

Escanabajosh
10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
i have my 350x down to the frame but i cant get the triple trees off. i beat em a bit with a 2x4 and hammer but i don't wanna break nothing, any tricks or tips?

lol......i just looked out my window the neighbor is rippin down the ally on his sled! we got like a inch of snow on the ground!

Bob225
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I just took mine off Sunday. You did take the threaded screw off after you took the crome cap correct? Mine fell right off after that.

Escanabajosh
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
there was a big crome one with a dome top that i took off then after that a washer and that was it.

what threded screw?

thanks too eh

MonroeMike
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
There's a service manual in World Class Help, if you don't have one.

i58829
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you didn't take the top piece off yet. Loosen the bolts and slide the fork tubes out, and once you have that chrome nut off with the washer the upper triple will come off, then you have another threaded piece and once that it removed it will fall apart in your hands...

Bob225
10-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Make sure you are carefull because you will have ball bearings everywhere.

Escanabajosh
10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
i got the forks out and the big nut and washer off but it ain't budging? should i try a board and a B.F.H.? i'd hate to break anything. i had a puller on and it wouldn't even budge, i might have bent up what looks to be a bearing race under the top tripple.hope a new one comes with the new berrings!

so after the top tripple is off then there will be another bolt to remove for the bottom to come off.

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes there is another nut, and the nut that tried to remove them without reading a manual or opening his eyes :lol:

You'll figure it out............

Welcome to 3WW :beer :D

oldskool83
10-13-2009, 02:18 PM
the correct way to get 350x tripples out is to have the correct tools and let the hammers in the tool box.

Escanabajosh
10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
okay i put the hammer away...lol

i''m going to wait i guess till i can buy i book for it.

this might be a dumb question but do they ever get stuck somehow?
i think i'm to the part where it falls apart in my hands but it ain't budging?

thanks for the help guys

SeaBass8
10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
How about a pic of what you're looking at.

Basically theres 2 nuts on the top of the tripple holding it on.

atctim
10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Have you removed part #11 (top right) yet? I use a screwdriver and a hammer to remove that part.
http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/H00910035.gif

the removal order should be

top chromed acorn nut
4 - 12mm headed bolts that clamp the triple to the forks
then the top triple
then the #11 seen in picture above
then it should slide down and out sending you scrambling for a magnet to retrieve all the ball bearings that just fell onto your floor.

Have you removed #11 yet? It is standard thread - and as I said - just us a flat-headed screwdriver as a "chisel" of sorts to bang it loose.

MonroeMike
10-13-2009, 03:56 PM
i''m going to wait i guess till i can buy i book for it.

Here's a direct link to the manual this time.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc350x_85-86_servicemanual.pdf

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM
^ See!!, it's all your fault Mike :D

"I beat on it with a hammer and 2x4" Oh god kill me now..............:lol:

rdlsz24
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Are you talking about the top handlebar bridge? Mine was rusted onto the stem on my 200x. Took lots of penetrant and moving back and forth to break it free.

Rob

Escanabajosh
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
i don't have a camera otherwise i would post a pic. i'll see if i can use my parents.

thanks for the diagram atctim, i havent got #11 off yet but trouble i'm having is getting the top tripple off. i have the top domed nut off and the washer but the top tripple won't come off.if you were looking at it it would be a bare frame with just the tripples on it and the top center chrome nut is off also a big washer off so its the tripple with the just the threaded part sticking out.......this is the part where the top tripple should just lift off, correct?

mike thanks x2 for the info but my computer is a POS and i cant down load anything or view pdf's or videos.....my laptop took a junk and i got a old one from my uncle......it was either the 350x or a new laptop......i went with the wheeler, figure tax time will be around the corner.

dirtcrasher.....it was more a gental tap...lol

i think i'll set this aside till i get the book, i don't have much $ to get going on it right now anyways. thanks again guys

Escanabajosh
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
rdlsz24 ....ya thats the part thats stuck, the top tripple that the bars bolt to....i have the first nut and washer off but the top and bottom are still stuck solid.....i'm gunna go spray some more PB in there......thanks a bunch i was thinking it might be rust cause the stem is full of it.

oldskool83
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
post a pic man....it will help us really see whats up

Dirtcrasher
10-13-2009, 04:43 PM
That part isn't a press fit in the least. If you have to pound on it, pound UP and not down towards the lower clamp.

It should wiggle right off and it will also spin as the forks keep it in line and nothing else...........

Red Rider
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM
It should wiggle right off and it will also spin as the forks keep it in line and nothing else.Along the same lines as what Dirtcrasher just said, try grasping the top tripleclamp & turning it until the lower tripleclamp contacts the steering stop, now continue twisting the top tripleclamp in the same direction to break it loose from the steering stem. Try this in alternating directions against both steering stops. Good luck!

Escanabajosh
10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
thanks guys i've been spraying with a little PB every few hours i'm gunna mess with it in the mornin. i'll let ya's know how it goes.

Escanabajosh
10-14-2009, 04:01 PM
well after 20 shots of pb threw out last night and this mornin i gave it another go.
i ended up putting the puller back on but only with it pulling a little and then gave it a tap with the rubber mallet and it budged so i set the puller back up and did it again. after the 3rd time it popped off. it was rusty. but then i was so exicted i forgot about not letting the berings go everywhere, and so now i got a mess to clean up but i'm glad i got em off!i am going to need a new nut, the 2nd one i bent on the first attempt with the puller

i gotta get my sx ready for hunting/ice fishing then i'm gunna start more on the x.

i'm sure i'll have more questions for ya's, thanks again for the help guys.