PDA

View Full Version : 250sx lives - reverse lockout ???

Honda_Dude
10-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey all, anyone remember my original posts, I bought a cheap 250SX with a "stuck" exhaust valve. Long story short, after a new cam chain, guides, and a used head, this thing fired up on the first kick !! Whoo Hoo !!!!!

This thing runs great BUT, when downshifting, I can go all the way down to 1ST, then NEUTRAL, them REVERSE WITHOUT engaging the reverse cable.

I'm happy all the gears are there and this thing runs good but I'd hate to hit REVERSE while still moving.

Now, I've got a manual and will look up this problem (hopefully an adjustment) but any quick answers would be appreciated.

I've got the SX running and bought a 250ES Big Red recently so now I've got 2 running trikes. YEAH !!!! Once I get used to 3 wheels, I may move up to a 350X. (I used to have a 400EX and miss the trails but decided to go to 3 wheels).

I turned 40 this year so I don't need to go 70 MPH and do alot of jumping but I REALLY missed being on the trails this year. I've got 2 boys, 13 & 7 and would like to get them into riding. Well, I'll stop rambling now, maybe I'll see ya @ TF 2010... ??? Later........

85Tecate
10-10-2009, 09:00 PM
There is a cable on the left side brake lever that runs the reverse. Check and make sure its pushed all the way in and adjusted properly.

MudBug
10-10-2009, 10:44 PM
if it is stuck upward (toward the seat) you can hit neutral when shifting down without the cable. check it:cool:

montess85
10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Mine does the same thing....It came like that when I bought it....some people jam the cable to do this....I prefer it this way....just be careful....

Dirtcrasher
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
If the right side cover got removed, something probably got installed wrong by the previous owner.

Or the cable is just corroded and keeping the lever in the "ready to reverse" position.

Something is bound somewhere, make sure it's together right 1st and then trace it until you find whats binding it........

Honda_Dude
10-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I had the right cover off to change the cam chain & guides but I went by the manual. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I hope to get some time tomorrow afternoon. It all seemed well, but I don't know if it worked right to begin with. We'll see. THX again.