PDA

View Full Version : 185s front wheel bearings?

Kwattro
10-10-2009, 01:46 AM
The front wheel bearings on my 185s are a bit rough and I'd like to change them. Is this a difficult job? What do I need to do? Thanks.

harryredtrike
10-10-2009, 02:48 AM
unhook your brakes take your nut off axle and slide it out,that will drop the front wheel and pop the seal off and the bearings are right there.

Frankencelery
10-10-2009, 09:18 AM
The seals will come out with a screwdriver, then the bearings are pounded out with a punch from the inside. I use a long bolt. There will be a spacer in the center that should slide aside a bit so you can get your punch or bolt on the inner edge of the bearing, then you tap it out with a hammer. Try to work from side to side to get the bearing to come out as straight as possible, or you can damage the bearing surface in the hub. The new bearings are pounded back in place. You need to find something like a socket that will only touch the outside edge of the race. You don't want to put any pressure on the soft center (what do we call that..a seal?) or the center part of the bearing, or the bearing will be damaged. They actually make bearing drivers that you can buy. Harbor Freight has a set that I've been threatening to pick up. Oh, and don't forget to put the spacer back in before you put the second bearing in. I've done that! Good luck...

Kwattro
10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Great, thanks guys.

MonroeMike
10-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the board. What year is your 185s and how about some pics?

85Tecate
10-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Exactly what was posted above. Easy job if you can get the front wheel off. We all know how pesky those can be sometimes. Anyways you may be able to use a rubber mallet to drive the bearings back in and cause no damage. Just dont go pounding with improper fitting tools.

Kwattro
10-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I got the wheel off already, fast and smooth, also had a new tire installed. New shoes and bearings now on order.

Should the axle pull out? Or it it centered by some snap rings or something?

No pictures yet but I'll put some up when it's back together. It's an '83. Thanks for the advice and welcome.

Thorpe
10-10-2009, 10:05 PM
It should pull out... Hold a 2x4 piece of wood against the axle, and whack the wood with a hammer... Dont pound directly on the axle... (so you dont damage threads)