PDA

View Full Version : Need some starting help with YTM 200

Rabbithunter
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a 3 wheeler that was running one day and dead the next day. The battery is fully charged. The headlight will come on with the switch and the neutral light is on also. When I hit the electric start button, I get nothing. If I cross the two poles on the starter solenoid, the starter fires and tries to start the ATC. What does this tell me? Do I have a bad solenoid or do I have a bad switch? Any help would be great! Thanks Bob

85Tecate
10-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Both could be the culprit. You need to test your switch. It should be OPEN meaning unlimited OHMS with the meter. When its pressed you should see a resistance pop up. Its really simple to test. If it tests good, the solenoid is probably bad or has a bad connection. Also, just pull it with the rope. The solenoid or switch isnt going to cause it not to run, just not to start with the button...You dont even need a battery on that thing for it to fire. Trust me, i used to have one and cut every wire except the two ignition wires :)

MonroeMike
10-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the board.

Read this thread, it may help.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=98313

Rabbithunter
10-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! This site rocks! I have found lots of answers to my problems here. Thanks for the link that is exactly the same problem I am having. I will follow the tips and respond back hopefully with a positive note. Thanks again! Bob:beer

MonroeMike
10-10-2009, 12:13 AM
A manual might help too.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

harryredtrike
10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
welcome to 3ww,keep us informed

Rabbithunter
10-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I think my head is starting to hurt. I thought that I understood fairly well from the link above. If I touch the wires in the plug coming from the harness, it said that my test light should come on. I dont understand where power is coming from to turn my test light on. I thought the power was going into the solenoid. If I connnect a continuity tester to the plug I my light goes on a shows a complete circuit. But I dont have to hit the start button, it just always shows a cirtcuit.

If I have the solenoid completely removed from the trike, how do I test to see if it is good/bad?

Sorry for the long rant but I know you guys are the pros!