PDA

View Full Version : 1982 200e carb spewing fuel

RudeDog666
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
The '82 Big Red 200e was running a bit rough and didn't want to start as easily as it did when I first got it (a few weeks ago). I decided to rip into the carb and check it out. Turns out it was fairly clean, I got the little bit of spooge that was in there out and reassembled it as it was.

When I got it back on the bike and try starting it I notice it's spewing fuel out both ends! WTF. I didn't notice this before I took it apart (although I had the air box on and wasn't looking for it then).

Now, it will fire once in a while but refuses to run.

Any help is much appreciated!

BTW... it has the plastic float which I believe is non-adjustable.

dan4governor
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Is it spilling fuel from the overflow line? or from the middle gasket seal? its possible that you damaged the gasket when you took it apart to clean it. If it is leaking from the overflow line, then you need to adjust your float (it is adjustable) there is a small metal piece in the middle of your plastic float. You can bend it up or down to determine how much it pushes on float valve to cut off the fuel when it reaches a certain point.

As for the rough starting...sounds more like a fouled spark plug than a carb issue. Pull the spark plug and wipe off any oil that might have built up on it.
Hope that helps,
Dan

harryredtrike
10-09-2009, 04:41 AM
^^^^ i agree with the float issue,but that will make it run crappy.you will have a super rich condition in the carb.fix float to spec and problem will vanish

RudeDog666
10-09-2009, 06:04 AM
The fuel is coming from inside the throat of the carb. i have no air box attached to it so I can see it spitting fuel straight back. I replaced the spark plug when I put the carb back on and it's wet with fuel whenever I pull it to check it.

I'll check the float again but I'm pretty sure there was no way to adjust this one. I'll snap a picture tonight if I find nothing.

Thanks for the input.

RudeDog666
10-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Now that I think about it... I could have blown that small float piece across the garage when i was blowing things off. That's just my luck! When I cleaned out the carb for the 125 Tri-moto I ended up blowing the slow jet into oblivion ($25.00 jet). This is REALLY going to suck if I did that!

Anybody have a picture of where that piece goes and what it looks like?

Thanks again!

MonroeMike
10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=117105&category=ATVs&make=HONDA&year=1982&fveh=2796

RudeDog666
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I had no time to mess with it today but I've got all day tomorrow.

Thanks for the picture Mike. I looked at the one in the service manual and it looks like I've got all the pieces in the right places. The picture you have has the solid float with the steel adjuster. Mine is the hollow plastic one. I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

mike1979
10-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Keep in mind that it wont run worth a damn if at all without the air box on there.

RudeDog666
10-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Without the air box? The air box recently got a filter and I have a boot coming to connect the box to the frame. So, it was pretty much wide open before I removed the box.

Correct me if I'm wrong but... I could understand if the exhaust was missing i.e. no back pressure, but we want the air to flow freely into the carb don't we?

Thorpe
10-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Without the filter, it causes them to run leaner.... But sounds like your are having carb issues to me...

RudeDog666
10-10-2009, 07:52 AM
That makes sense. I'll be looking into it today.

mike1979
10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Try cover most or the hole with your hand while starting the bike. I had the same issue

RudeDog666
10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Here's the pictures as promised I have the other carb with the solid floats for comparison:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/stern666/3%20Wheelers/carb-compare.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/stern666/3%20Wheelers/carb-compare2.jpg

The jetting run down is as follows:
Slow jet = 38
Main jet = 95
Needle jet = 36J / clip at 3rd groove
Slide is marked with a 74D
Pilot screw turned out 1 7/8 turns

RudeDog666
10-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

oscarmayer
10-11-2009, 05:28 AM
it may be totally filthy and clogged and spewing fuel doe to the needle seat being putted and corruded. you may have to get another carb or at minimum rebuild it. it' sonly like $16 for a kit.

sundance
08-13-2010, 01:14 AM
The '82 Big Red 200e was running a bit rough and didn't want to start as easily as it did when I first got it (a few weeks ago). I decided to rip into the carb and check it out. Turns out it was fairly clean, I got the little bit of spooge that was in there out and reassembled it as it was.

When I got it back on the bike and try starting it I notice it's spewing fuel out both ends! WTF. I didn't notice this before I took it apart (although I had the air box on and wasn't looking for it then).

Now, it will fire once in a while but refuses to run.

Any help is much appreciated!

BTW... it has the plastic float which I believe is non-adjustable.

rude did you ever get the problem resolved need help or did you just get a new carb