PDA

View Full Version : sputtering

ovhonda1
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Guys,
86 R sputters through 1-3 gears and cleans up in 4th. FMF pipe, 1st bore, OEM carb (not sure about jet sizes yet). Pilot jet? Main jet?

Saul
10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
sputters at WOT or before WOT?

You main jet really only comes into play when you are at WOT. Try leaning the needle clip position one notch and see if it helps.

But - when you say 'sputters' do you mean sputtering like it's getting too much fuel - almost like rapid misfire or is it 'bogging' like it wants to die from a lack of fuel (lean) ?

harryredtrike
10-08-2009, 03:02 PM
pull your plug and check for a rich or lean condition.make sure all your settings are correct.air mix screw and such.good luck with that.could also have a bad mix too.

ovhonda1
10-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Sputters like not getting enough fuel throughout 1,2 and 3rd gears throughout the throttle. Seems to get a little better after riding it a while, but not much. I will do a plug chop again, but it looks like it is on the money as it is a dull black and a little wet. I will also try the needle adjustment.

Saul
10-08-2009, 05:52 PM
well - if your plug is wet and black that is a tell tale sign of getting too much fuel.

Just try leaning the needle one clip position and see how it reacts - if it gets worst go two positions the other way.

Make sure to only make one change at a time. Don't change needle clip positions, pilot jet and a/f screw turns all at once.

harryredtrike
10-09-2009, 04:38 AM
^^^^ i agree with that.one thing at a time then check.

bigboy_toy85
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I had the same problem with my bigred. There were two things that I did. I cleaned out the carb, and the jets had gunned up, so we cleaned them out, and it runs almost shut. I think your getting too much fuel.

If that's not it, check the hose that leads from the aircleaner to the carb, it could be blocked alittlr and keeping you from getting enough airflow