PDA

View Full Version : SX front tire options...

Name Brand
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm getting organized for my second SX project and need to make a decision on what front tire I want to run. I need to have it be least 25" tall and 11" wide. Cost isn't much of a factor. I will either buy a new rim or narrow another one to the proper width as I did on my SX. Rear tires will again be 25-12.5-9 Kenda Bearclaws. I ride all sorts of terrain; gravel, sand, snow, clay, muskeg, dirt, woods trails, water crossings...

I currently have a Goodyear ATT912 on the front of my SX; 25-11-9. Weight is 16 pounds. Tread depth is 16/32". Being a knobby it steers very well on many surfaces. It does tend to slide in slippery mud or clay. Deep ruts (over 18") can be tricky to climb out of. It rides smoothly and softens the bumps. It does well at braking; as much as you'd want to use the front brake anyway.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0040629049139_LG.jpg

I am perfectly happy with the ATT912 and wouldn't mind running it on the other machine. I have seen many people running a more aggressive tire on the front all the way up to a true mud tire.

This is the Goodyear Tracker P. Size is 25-11-10. Weight is 25 pounds. Tread Depth is 24/32". It is a 3-ply tire and is said to have 'Excellent mud and snow performance' and 'Good steering response and puncture resistance'. I think it would ride pretty smooth with the overlapping lugs. It looks like it would grip well and pull out of ruts easier than the ATT912. With the long, spaced out lugs I think it would slip much less and clean out better. It would look really mean too.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0040629053239_LG.jpg

One big concern; The ATT912 is a snug fit between the SX forks, but does not rub. I don't know if the Tracker P will or not. I'm sure I could shave down any offending lugs or try a narrower rim to make it clear. If I do buy the tire and discover it just will not work, I'll buy a second one and get to that trailer project I've been thinking about.

So what tire should I go with? I'm open to any other tire suggestions too!

lndy650
10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
bacon...yum.

MudBug
10-06-2009, 08:46 PM
its too funny how the majority of votes are for bacon...lol :)