PDA

View Full Version : big red fork repair

pratner
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
so i got my 1984 200es big red, the boots were torn up and the forks were siezed up. turns out they were pretty nasty, they were rusted and were preventing the fork and shock housing from sliding together. so i cleaned them as best i could and sanded the rusted parts on the for down as smooth as i can get it. they work but after riding my dads 200es of the same year, i have realized that mine are nowhere near what they could be. so my question is is there anyway that i can repair the fork where it will work right or should i just replace. if the option is to replace, is their anyone out there that wants to sell a 200es fork or a fork that will work on a 200es

Yamaha_Rules69
10-03-2009, 09:28 PM
If the slider is pitted or the crome knicked in the travel area that contacts the fork seal, the seal will leak no matter what you try. This will cause the forks to work incorrectly, and you will loose fork oil, and air can get into the system and make them soft and bouncy. The only thing you can really do is replace the inner fork tube (slider) or buy a different set of forks.

pratner
10-04-2009, 07:54 PM
does anyone know where i can get some new forks or a good recommendation of which fork would be a good replacement.

daniel_250r
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
200m forks can work they are a superior design, any one tried 250 big red forks?

pratner
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
i will start looking for both 200es and 200m forks, anyone who has any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

oscarmayer
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
the 200es and 200e have the SAME front forks. the problem you have is those are the only ones that will fit. I have tried 200s/185s of various years, and several otehr sizes. the neck angle is jsut too far off to get them to bolt up correctly. I neded up cutting the front off and installing a 250sx fron and front shock setup. BEST darn thing I ever did!!!!!!!! works awesome! rides smooth and just feels sooo much better!!!! this is how they should have been made!!!!
anyway, good luck. I was not able to find any parts for it, the seals for the forks are no longer available. you may fine 1 here or there, but that's about it and the hard parts. pffffft. not a chance.

ebay is your best bet at this point. I have a bad set, but after looking into it, i decided not to sell them to the guy as they are too far gone and i didn;t want to stick him with parts unuseable and no replacements for.