PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever break your grab bar bolts!!!

mike84bigred
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I went to take it off the other day to paint it, and broke 2 bolts. 1 was in the back, and had it driiled in about 5 minutes. The other one that broke was further up where the frame is tubaular. I tell you what guys, I have broke about 5 drill bits, and this will be the fourth day tring to drill and hammer out, and still haven't got. Just a word of warning for anyone attempting this terriable act!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

brapp
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
reverse twist drill bits work great for me drill a pilot hole and then use the bigger reverse bit and usualy most of the time they back themselves out

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2009, 08:28 PM
I share your pain my friend....

Honestly though, it's how you FIRST attack that broken bolt that sets the pace for the rest of the repair.

Being on center is the 1st step, drilling it straight too. But the surface you begin with can make or break the whole deal. If there is any angle to a surface which you try and drill, the drill grabs, breaks, twists etc etc. Think about it: most things we drill have a flat surface to begin with, and you have to use that same procedure even with broken and or rusty stuff.

Sometimes I use an end mill in a drill to get stuff flat FIRST, or a dremel if I must which takes time and allot of patience/steady hands.

If you can get ONE hole run dead nuts on center and parallel to all other planes, THEN you can try to heat and extract it.

I'm assuming it was rusty and old. New bolts back right out with a LH drill bit many times.....

I don't put bolts in ANYTHING without a dab of grease on them, it makes life so much easier if your gonna keep your machines. Never seize does the trick to for prevention but an expensive (nickel additive) type should be used in exhausts and again, it will save heartache down the road.

If I like something I keep it forever so I plan accordingly. Unfortunately those "death do us part" wedding vows mean nothing to most and it's easier to keep a trike "till death do us part!!" :D

Got a pic? Lets see what your dealing with. I gotta go back outside for a bit but I'll be back :beer

mike84bigred
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Went and bought a cobalt bit today. Working, but very slow.

Dirtcrasher
09-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Oil that bit up and clear the chips OFTEN!!

Bacon grease is an awesome drill bit lube!!

Go make up a BLT!!

WIN/WIN!!!!!!!!!!

bonkers_200s
09-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Go make up a BLT!!

Other than trikes, my biggets weakness:drool:

White bread, not toasted. Mayo, it better be Hellman's.

Autophysn
09-30-2009, 12:33 AM
eeeeewwww Hellmans? No way, has to be either Bestfoods or Kraft

mike84bigred
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Day 5 upadate, broke the colbolt bit, still not through!!! The threaded part of the bolt is gone, i've been beating the s@#% out of it, and still it stays in there. Driving me nuts. I want to burn it out, but I don't have oxy acetelyn.