PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help. 250es

peejicky
09-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Hello. First let me say that you guys are a good group of people and I've learned alot by luking here for the last few weeks. I have a 1985 Big Red that was in so so condition. It was not nice enough IMO for a restoration putting it back to original condition so I went the opposite direction.

My tires are 26x12x12 on the rear and 27x9x12 on the front. I wanted the front to sit a bit higher. I want to lift the machine about an inch and know to make another bracket/linkage for the rear shock to raise the rear but what can I do for the front?

Can the forks be removed from the tree, place 1 inch spacers on top of the fork then reinsert them into the tree? It looks like the forks slide into the tree at least three inches then there are two bolts that tighten and hold the forks in place. I'm wondering if anybody has done this? There would still be two inches of fork tube inside the tree and the front brake cable is long enough for the lift.

I have an inch or so clearance at the closest point in the front and a bit more at the closest point in the rear. My 26's measure 28 and my 27 measures almost 29! How do they arrive at tire sizes anyway? They're not as wide as the size states either.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please be kind since this is my first post.LOL.

MonroeMike
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the board, nice Big Red. Wish the pictures were bigger. I have noticed the same thing with tires. I have quite a few pairs of the same size, yet when I stand different brands next to each other, they are different heights. I read somewhere on the board that tires sizes go like this.

22x11-8

22 = tire height
11 = tire width
8 = rim diameter

First number is overall tire height.

2nd number is the width of the tire footprint and has nothing to do with rim width.

3rd number is rim diameter at the tire bead seal.

125Mule
09-20-2009, 08:26 PM
good looking trike there pee-j, sweet looking rims too btw. :beer
the sizes are probibly rounded off.
as for the front lift, i've wanting to know about this myself for my buddy. the way you described is the way my friend is thinking of going, but he's not sure himself about doing it that way too.

i think you two have been eyeballing the same thread. wish skiffy would answer soon.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=98839

edit: just noticed you blacked out the motor, i like it. my buddy has been stripping the orig. paint off his motor and stuff polishing up what stuff he can. it a bit shiney for me, but it's his, not mine. lol

NewfieBish
09-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm not really sure how to answer your question, but I can tell you that's a pretty sweet Big Red!

tulsamike3434
09-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Where did you find plastics like that? or is it a decal? And where did you get the rims! Your trike looks G R E A T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peejicky
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. Maybe somebody that has lifted one will read this soon.

To answer some questions.
1.The camo is camo clad sheets in the Advantage Max4 pattern. It took 1 and one half sheets to do it. I have covered a Bronco II before with this stuff and must say that the Big red was much tougher due to the shape of the plastic.
2. The wheels are ITP SS212's in Black ordered from Brent at www.abcpartsonline.com . The offset is 2 from inside/5 from outside. (standard rear wheel)
3. Tires are GBC Dirt Tamers 26x12x12 rear and 27x9x12 front. They ride smoooth on the asphalt and the front tire steers straight. I havent tried them offroad but I'm sure they'll do fine.

If I'd known the actual tire sizes would be different from the stated manufacturers size I would have ordered 25 x 12x12 for rear and the 26x9x12 for the front.

harryredtrike
09-20-2009, 09:08 PM
welcome to 3ww.your trike looks cool.pretty beefy i like

harryredtrike
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Hello. First let me say that you guys are a good group of people and I've learned alot by luking here for the last few weeks. I have a 1985 Big Red that was in so so condition. It was not nice enough IMO for a restoration putting it back to original condition so I went the opposite direction.

My tires are 26x12x12 on the rear and 27x9x12 on the front. I wanted the front to sit a bit higher. I want to lift the machine about an inch and know to make another bracket/linkage for the rear shock to raise the rear but what can I do for the front?

Can the forks be removed from the tree, place 1 inch spacers on top of the fork then reinsert them into the tree? It looks like the forks slide into the tree at least three inches then there are two bolts that tighten and hold the forks in place. I'm wondering if anybody has done this? There would still be two inches of fork tube inside the tree and the front brake cable is long enough for the lift.

I have an inch or so clearance at the closest point in the front and a bit more at the closest point in the rear. My 26's measure 28 and my 27 measures almost 29! How do they arrive at tire sizes anyway? They're not as wide as the size states either.

Thanks in advance for your help. Please be kind since this is my first post.LOL.

youll lose strength with that method,i dont recomend

125Mule
09-20-2009, 09:36 PM
know of any way you would recommend harry?

pee-j, try remeasuring just the tire but don't add in the tread. tire might be right but could just be a taller lug giving you the extra height maybe?

theiizz08
09-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Welcome abord love the BR those wheels are sweet. Im shure that will tear up the trails:beer :welcome:

TravEX
09-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Love the CAMO!

bigboy_toy85
09-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Awsome bigred. I usually don't like it when people steer away from the original look of the big red. But you have done an awsome job in building that.

For the tires, the highth is mesured without the tread. I don't know why, but it's measured that way. It's pretty stupid really, lol

But good job on the trike and good luck on lifting it. It might be easier and stronger to just build new forks. It would be alot sturdier

stoney420
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
awesome job!! i really like the looks of that big red..i just may have to be a copy cat :D

stoney420
09-21-2009, 06:25 PM
oh forgot to mention, theres a guy on ebay with camo seat covers for the 250es as well if thats of any interest to you, looking at the pic i think that may be a little much, the black really sets it off, but just thought id mention it...

peejicky
09-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I think I'm going to try the 1" lift on the forks this weekend as I described in my first post unless someone talks me out of it.
I ordered a seat cover today from the guy off ebay but I ordered black. I was afraid that the camo might not match good enough. I like the black contrast. I plan on blacking in the rear brack drum and the rear hubs this weekend as well.

TravEX
09-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I might copycat that with my 185.

peejicky
09-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I might copycat that with my 185.

Does a 185 have the same type of front axle and hub as the big red?

TravEX
09-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Same 'type', not same size. 185S that is. The 185 is different.