PDA

View Full Version : Fixing cracked case, without weld???

mike84bigred
09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
My case is cracked in the middle. Can't weld it because I would have to split the case in the middle and replace the gasket that would burn up, and I have never been that far into a motor before and don't think I want to. I tried just patching over it with JB weld and Alvins lab metal, and that didn't work. Is there a way to fix the crack, or is there shops that can fix it up good? Leaking oil out of it, and water is seeping in the motor.

Pafrig
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Try in weld again, make sure there is no water/grease/anything on the case when you apply, then cover it up with 5200. 5200 is a marine selant that is water tight, and flexible so it can stay sealed betwen tempature differnces and expanding metal. For lower tempature welds, some company makes alluminum solder that you can melt with a propane torch. If you're fast enough, the gasket shouldn't be too badly damaged.

Russell 350X
09-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Take the time to split the cases. Get a manual, its not as hard as it seems, and have it welded right, don't JB weld it, its not very trustworthy IMHO.

daniel_250r
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
i had holes in my 200s casing and jb weld held up for 6 months that i owned it, although it did burn alot of oil so i never would have noticed

mike84bigred
09-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Everything works well in the top end and I really don't want to mess with it, thats why I don't want to split the case. Ya, aluminloy or something. You have to preheat the base first before you apply the rod, and that might burn the gasket up as well. Where you get this marine sealant? The crack was in a spot right next to the frame, where I couldn't prep it very well. Now that the motor is out, I can get to it a lot better.

Erics350x
09-20-2009, 09:14 PM
clean the area good with carb cleaner, let dry good. Then grind the area to clean off any paint a rough the area up. Then coat with JB weld and you should be good for years to come.

code200k
09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Take the time to split the cases. Get a manual, its not as hard as it seems, and have it welded right, don't JB weld it, its not very trustworthy IMHO.

what russell said

Pafrig
09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Everything works well in the top end and I really don't want to mess with it, thats why I don't want to split the case. Ya, aluminloy or something. You have to preheat the base first before you apply the rod, and that might burn the gasket up as well. Where you get this marine sealant? The crack was in a spot right next to the frame, where I couldn't prep it very well. Now that the motor is out, I can get to it a lot better.

I get 5200 from west marine. it costs like $15 for a toothpaste sized tube. takes about 4-5 days to dry. who cares if you heat up the gasket a little? they shouldnt burn too easily, but if it does, cover it up with aluminloy. Sure, it would be alot more professional to split the case and weld it, but hey. why not expiriment? you might find a quick, easy, and cheap solution.