PDA

View Full Version : Got some questions about my new 225dx

mrit
09-19-2009, 11:34 PM
So as of today I am a proud new owner of an 84ish YTM 225dx. Besides several problems the previous owner "didn't" know about, lets just say now she is a fixer upper. I was mainly curious about the forks, every 225dx I have seen on here has had the top of the forks about level with the handle bars, mine isn't even close. It actually has air fittings on the top, kinda like the valve stems on tires

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/russellc60/th_Picture016.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/russellc60/?action=view&current=Picture016.jpg)
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/russellc60/th_Picture014.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/russellc60/?action=view&current=Picture014.jpg)
The PO said that he didn't put much pressure in them cause it made it better for the trails. I have worked on a ton of machines, but this is my first atv so have no clue if what he was saying is accurate.

The rear axle bearing are bad, I've read denniskirk sells them, but Im not sure which are the correct ones. Anyone got a part # for the correct ones? The pullstart stopped working right after I bought it too, it figures. It doesn't catch, is this a relatively simple fix? If so, how do I go about it?

Also is there a place that sells individual engine gaskets? I would rather not pay $50 for all of them when I only need the gasket that seals the cover under the pullstart.

Thanks alot

aldochina
09-19-2009, 11:42 PM
forks are most definately from a dirt bike or something, most are run at zero psi, you can add up to maybe 10 max, but dont need to. pull starts are a pain to rebuild so i hear, ive never had to do one yet:w00t: good luck with it.

Tecate 50
09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Simply loosen the top tree and lower the forks accordingly. Go to your local Yamaha dealer and ask for the gaskets you need.

Tecate 50
09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Now that I have taken a closer look.....make sure that those are the factory forks.

mrit
09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Now that I have taken a closer look.....make sure that those are the factory forks.

Thats one thing that I wasn't sure about, none of the other 225dx's I have seen had them.

The forks are really soft, so it sounds like i can adjust however I want as long as its below 10psi?

Thanks

MonroeMike
09-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Never seen tubes that long on a 225. The forks are on backwards also. Hate to stop hard on that, those would skewer you. Putting air in those would just increase the chance of blowing the seals.

You can make a gasket out of thin cardboard.

MonroeMike
09-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Those are definately the wrong forks. Even the outer tubes look different by the axle. The rest looks like it's in good shape. Post the VIN, if you are unsure of the year.

mrit
09-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I believe the vin is 29U-078997, That is what is stamped on the tube that supports the forks.

Fixed the oil leak today, half the gasket was missing and the PO just threw on a ton of silicon thinking it would fix it:crazy: Had to drill out two of the screws, who the hell thought it would be a good idea to use phillips screws Deepa , so im gonna be looking for some allen head bolts. Fixed the pullstart also, it was just gummed up.

Gotta figure out what is wrong with the carb, it leaks like crazy.

Found out the "bent hub" was a really bent axle, so got one on order from ebay.

MonroeMike
09-20-2009, 11:50 PM
You were right, it's a 84.

There's a manual here, if you haven't found it yet.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

mrit
09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks mike.

:beer

inv3ctiv3
09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
This was the first trike I ever rode, these are great trikes.

mrit
09-22-2009, 04:00 AM
Just outta curiosity, does anyone know how much travel the stock forks have? I didn't try too hard, but with 0 psi in the forks I couldn't get them to bottom out

MonroeMike
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
The manual says 130 mm (5.1 in).

67arch
09-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Went to my local hardware store (lowe's) and picked up a bunch of Allen head screws! Couldn't believe I found em, size 1 metric 20 to 30 length. Replaced all the Phillips heads and allen head size is same as valve covers. $.50 each

mrit
09-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Yep I went to home depot for 90% of the screws. I had to go to a specialty bolt store to get the longer ones. For anyone in WA check out Tacoma bolt and screw, wish I would have gone there first. They only charged $.30 each, compared to $.55 at home depot. Not much money still, but it add's up, could have saved a couple bucks. M6 x1 or however it goes.

Besides the fill plug on the diff, she seems to be coming togeather fine. I took the torch to heat it up a bit, and still ended up stripping the allen socket in it. It didn't want to budge. Taking the easy out kit to it tomorrow.

Yamada
09-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Yep I went to home depot for 90% of the screws. I had to go to a specialty bolt store to get the longer ones. For anyone in WA check out Tacoma bolt and screw, wish I would have gone there first. They only charged $.30 each, compared to $.55 at home depot. Not much money still, but it add's up, could have saved a couple bucks. M6 x1 or however it goes.

Besides the fill plug on the diff, she seems to be coming togeather fine. I took the torch to heat it up a bit, and still ended up stripping the allen socket in it. It didn't want to budge. Taking the easy out kit to it tomorrow.

Use a pair of vise-grip. I do that when I don't have the right allen wench.