PDA

View Full Version : KLT 160 Trike Project Pics

saki160
09-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Hey guys just thought I'd finally post some of my KLT 160 project pics.Try not to dog the trail pros too much.lol
Here's some history on it.
I bought it 2 weeks ago Sunday off Craigslist.I paid $175 for it.The first 2 green pics are straight from the guys add.As you can see it needed LOTS of work and tlc.It had a Honda gas tank,cheap chinese brand 4 wheeler seat,carb was trashed(missing pieces),plastics looked terrible,no headlight,wiring harness was butchered,kill switch was off god knows what.But it had a solid suspension and drivetrain so I figured I'd take on the task.Thanks to a couple of you guys here from the forum and especially monroemike for the manuals and undeadanger for the 3 boxes of KLT parts I was able to disturb the peace in my neighborhood this afternoon.It still has a little ways to go ,I need to finish the paint..I just have it prepped and flat blacked for now but it's going gloss black.I had more detailed pics but the files are too big to upload.
Anyways enjoy the pics!!

MonroeMike
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear you got it running.

hawaiirider
09-18-2009, 10:20 PM
dude get it going youll be glad you did, these kawi's are sleepers!!

saki160
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mike,Yeah hawaiirider I got it going yesterday,Just cosmetic things besides the front brake lever now.It's pretty cool.I've ejoyed riding it.

MonroeMike
09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Did you end up replacing the carb?

saki160
09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah undeadanger here on the site actually had a 160 carb with a fairly fresh rebuild and other parts I needed.It runs like a champ now.

Reshy55
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
really nice 160, i started out on one of those and let me tell ya with a little exhaust work and minor jetting they explode with power, i use to take on 200's and keep up. never once left me sitting either. good luck with it!

saki160
09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Reshy,
I was thinking about changing the exhaust and was wondering what kind of setup should I put on it?The stock exhaust has to be HP robbing.lol

Reshy55
09-19-2009, 08:23 PM
well i made my own head pipe in my pipe bender. i took 1.5 inch pipe and bent it to match the stock pipe and then i spread and welded the front flange onto the pipe. as for the muffler i took a stock 3 chamber muffler off a suzuki 185 trike i had laying around for parts and i cut 2 chambers out and welded the back on and made it a single chamber muffler its a 3 inch round muffler honestly it doesn't matter what you use but that fit under the rear plastic nicely. and then i just expanded the muffler and slipped it on the pipe and the exhaust was done. it was getting just enough back pressure so that the engine was still happy but like you said it wasn't robbing the power away like the stock set up did. as for the carb i don't remember off hand what jets i had in cus its been so long but honestly just try and get it so that that idle and midrange are tan and top end is dark brown i always ran my main jet just a tad on the rich side and it mauled. i could keep pace with a stock 200x. could beat it full out racing but when it came to trail riding i could go anywhere and leave the rest in the dust.

saki160
09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the help man.I think after I get finished with the paint I'm going to have to build some exhaust.It's quite a bit faster now than I thought it would be but I always want more.lol..There's nothing wrong with more power!!