PDA

View Full Version : Have a question on an 86 200x

pipeline triker
09-16-2009, 08:02 PM
My 1986 Honda 200x leaks oil out by the front sprocket when it is hot. My question is can the seal be changed from the out side. In the repair manual it shows the cases apart, but the bearing and then seal are installed from the outside. I have the front sprocket off to replace it. The seal looks good but it leaks. I have the snap ring off and wrote down all the #'s, but wanted to ask those wiser than I before I mess it up.

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd have to look to be sure, I can do so tomorrow. But usually most seals can come out the other way.........

If it has a clip, wouldn't it make sense that the clip PREVENTS it from coming out? What the hell else would it be there for??

It's dark now but if you want email me in the AM and I will look for sure. I have 6 or so 86/87 motors - some together and some apart..........

I sure thought I pressed mine in from the outside. I wonder if it's shown in my 20 day build................hmmm

Dirtcrasher
09-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Page 10-14 in the Service Manual shows the seal driven in from the outside of the case, then the snap ring................

Your all set, just don't score the shaft. If the bearing is sloppy, the new seal will go bad too...............

pipeline triker
09-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Bearing and everything is in great shape. It sat for 8 years before I got it,and I think the seal just got hard, because it looks good yet.

pipeline triker
09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help. I brought the entire trike to a local bearing shop today. He measured the seal and had one in stock. The factory one is 6mil's thick and the aftermarket seal is 7mil's thick. It went together and came out so nice if anyones else's leaks do not be afraid to change it. All you do is poke through the old seal with a sharp awl, then thread a screw into the hole and pull on the screw with a vise grip, slide's right out. Then I just put the new one in with a large deep well socket and put the snap ring in. I rode it all over today and no leaks. The old one had a very tiny crack so small you can only see it if you flex the seal. YEA!!