PDA

View Full Version : painting plastic??

groundfly
08-01-2003, 05:12 PM
I have a question on painting plastic on a bike. I figured i would lightly sand the old plastic to create a better surface for the paint, then apply several light layers, maybe sanding in between some, and then clear coat the crap out of it. Any suggestions or opinions would be nice. Is it even worth painting? Brands and/or types of paints, anything...thanks.

speed20
08-01-2003, 07:55 PM
I hope your not going to use spray paint.....(there is paint for plastic....costs more, but looks/last alot longer) if you sand it down it should be alright....

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2003, 08:01 PM
I have a question on painting plastic on a bike. I figured i would lightly sand the old plastic to create a better surface for the paint, then apply several light layers, maybe sanding in between some, and then clear coat the crap out of it. Any suggestions or opinions would be nice. Is it even worth painting? Brands and/or types of paints, anything...thanks.

Forget it, unless you use automotive type paint such as for the bumpers - it has flex agent and won't crack when tweaked ;)

groundfly
08-01-2003, 08:56 PM
thanks, I'v got a couple buddies who used to paint cars and have the whole set up. I'll get with them and see what comes out.

GreenLightening
08-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Ive done this a couple of times before. If you know how to paint a car you can paint plastic. If you havent had any experience with painting, dont even try it. If you want a quality job, use some quality products. dont mess around with no name cheap products.

First, you need to scuff that plastic good. run over it with a da sander with some 320 on all the flat surfaces and use a fine scuff pad on your edges. you dont want any shiny plastic, paint wont stick if its not scuffed up.

also you dont want to tear the plastic up too bad with sandpaper or scuff pad. plastic doesnt sand like metal. be careful.

I use all dupont automotive paints. acrylic urethanes. base clear. you also need a special wax and grease remover for plastic. I cant remember the number right now. I can get it to ya if ya want. you will also want to use a quality adhesion promoter. 2 coats on your bare plastic. after that its all pretty basic. Use a flex additive in your sealer and then spray your base coat. then when your ready use the flex in your clear coat.

Thats it in a nutshell. any more question. feel free to ask.

groundfly
08-01-2003, 09:27 PM
wow, thanks. You summed it up for me. But i do have a question. I'm not going for any special look like your beuatiful machine there, so should i go to this trouble of buying the right products and painting, or just pay up and buy new plastic..all new plastic will cost me around 150.00 or so. ?????

GreenLightening
08-01-2003, 09:35 PM
I dont know man, Its all up to you, how nice to you want your machine to look and how hard you ride it.

Dont get me wrong, the painted plastic is tuff as hell. will stand up to almost anything. Maybe not if you roll it over every time you ride it. but it will take a hell of a beating.

My opinion is I prefer paint. It has 10X the shine of plastic. wont scratch and haze like plastic. and if you get some scratches and scuffs in it. some wax or a buff job will clear up the problem. Plus you can have a nice looking machine that is different then every other one out there.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Nice Bombardier :D i really like the paint job

PowerTrike
08-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Actually I have found that the new Krylon Fusion (plasic spray paint) holds up pretty good on plastic. I would reccomend it if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-02-2003, 12:53 AM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................and want.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........FLAKY FENDERS :D :shock: