PDA

View Full Version : need bearing help

pratner
09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
so i hae been working on the front end of my big red atc 200es, the wheel bearings for the front wheel are shot and i have bearings and dust shields ordered and on their way, my question is, what is the easiest way to get the old wheel bearings out of the hub? the manual says to drive the bearings out, but i just wanted to know what the best method was.

shortline10
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
The last few that I have done I used a 20" piece of 3/8" all thread rod and knock them out from the back side . To install I use a small plastic/rubber hammer just dont hit the seal on the bearings .

Frankencelery
09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a big long 3/8 bolt that I use the same way. I angle the bolt in, start knocking with the hammer, then switch the angle so I'm working back and forth on the race. Having said that, I've often gotten frustrated and just BANG BANG BANG'ed on one side and shot the race out the other side, with little damage to the housing. Putting new bearings in, I always look for or make a block of wood that matches the outside of the bearing surface. This has had mixed results for me. At least once, i've damaged the seal on the bearing. Harbor Freight has a set of bearing drivers that I've been thinking about getting, that should make these easier.

pratner
09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
I think I might check harbor freight, I'll start looking for a bolt or rod at the hardware store. Thanks for the help. I hope I don't mess up the seal. Any o e else out there got any tips?

Pirate Rob
07-30-2010, 08:34 PM
The last few that I have done I used a 20" piece of 3/8" all thread rod and knock them out from the back side . To install I use a small plastic/rubber hammer just dont hit the seal on the bearings .

you got to love newbies that dig up posts from the 60's, but yeah the threaded rod works great to get them out and then you can use another piece with thread intact and a few big diameter washers to wind the bearings back in.

PiR