PDA

View Full Version : 200x too much compression

Reshy55
09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
i was riding my 84 honda 200x today and it was running great. i stopped for 15 minutes to take a break and when i went to start it back up nothing. when i go to kick it, it feels like both valves are shut at the same time. it has way too much compression to the point where it feels like i'm kicking it in gear. i pulled the plug and both valves are moving. could this be a timing problem???

The Goat
09-13-2009, 10:03 PM
sounds to me like the timing chain jumped on ya.

pop the rocker cover off, and give the timing hole a look too.

Yamaha_Rules69
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Have you had the motor apart recently? So if you have the plug out and kick it, it spins freely?

Dirtcrasher
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Any chance of the cam seizing up in the head??

Reshy55
09-14-2009, 02:44 AM
yes when the plug is out it spins free, i also took the rocker cover off and the cam is fine and the timing chain was on and in good shape. i haven't had the time to check timing yet i would have to suspect thats the problem but what doesn't make sense is how could it go from running perfectly fine to jumping time just buy shutting it down at idle thats what has me stumped. i put it all back together and tried to kick it with the plug back in and about broke my foot so i decided to tear it apart and try and hunt down a problem before i kill my kicker gear and create a huge problem

oscarmayer
09-14-2009, 01:18 PM
^ good move. i'm wondering if you had the top end done recently, did they properly bore/hone the cyclinder or make it too tight? if it's too tight the piston will grab the cyclinder and not move. also if it's too lean it can cause the piston to overheat and do the same thing as if the bore was too small.