PDA

View Full Version : 250R Won't Kill....need help this weekend!

350Kris
09-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I just bought a new kill switch assembly from Honda in hopes that it would fix my 250R killing problem. I have never been able to kill it electrically...just stall it out by easing out the clutch with no gas and the brake on (I know, I know). Now with the new kill/light switch assembly in place, I'm at a loss....when I switch it to "OFF" the engine just keeps right on running. There must be a wire off somewhere.....what could be causing this?
?

KASEY
09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
there is a black wire from the moror,, it goes to one wire on the kill switch,, the other end of the kill switch goes to ground,,, there isn't anything simpler,, if it won't die,,, you have no ground going to the black wire,,, so check out the wires beyond the kill switch,,,

bonkers_200s
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
This is totally rigged and you may get electrocuted but, I have a beater 200s with the same problem. I put a zip tie on the plug cap and didn't cut the tag end and would pull it to shut it off.

350Kris
09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
You guys are awesome. I think sometimes small, easy tasks bog me down, but I tackle complex ones readily! That happen to anyone else?!?!

I'm going to trace out the wires today. :)

Mosh
09-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Do you have your headlight harness hooked up?
I vaguely remember that the ground wire runs thru the headlight harness plug down by the radiator.

There was a green wire that had to be jumped from the kill switch to the main harness if you removed the headlight harness to complete the circuit to ground.

If someone cut that headlight jumper off the bike, then it wont complete the ground circuit from the kill switch.

350Kris
09-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Yes and the lights work fine.

Mosh
09-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Ok nix that idea then.

Check the green wires back by the regulator make sure they are grounded, which they should be if your lights are working. There is also a single green wire witha black connector down by the radiator that may be unplugged.

350Kris
09-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I checked that connection when I plugged in the new kill/light combo, but I think I will trace the other end of the wire...I'll bet it is open somewhere.

xbenzx
09-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree with the guy who says its the black wire. There is one connector that connects the kill switch to the harness and I believe there is a single black wire. The black wire is the ground to shut the engine down. Best Reguards , Steve

P.S. there is no regulator on 81-84 250r's theres a generator , alternator, stator etc.

350Kris
09-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Fixed it. One of the green wires coming out of the headlight was severed. I used a butt connector and voila...electrical kill! Thanks for the help guys! Ride on.

Mosh
09-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Good news.

Thanks for taking the time to post the fix.