PDA

View Full Version : 200es front shock

pratner
09-10-2009, 04:30 PM
so i picked up a 1984 200es a couple weeks ago, starts and runs good, exhaust is a bit rusted out and the tires were shot, so i put new tires on it and its going good. im pretty positive that the wheel bearings are out and the front fork does not move at all. im assuming the shocks or dampers are froze up but that is just me trying to think of the problem before tearing into it. i am planning on buying some wheel bearings and dust shields pretty soon, but i dont know much about the fork. i was looking in the manual and it says to use a shock absorber compressor that i really dont want to have to buy. surely there are some people out thier that have had the same issues or have changed or fixed their shocks before. let me know, i do want to get out of this as cheap as possible since i only bought the 200es for $100.

pratner
09-11-2009, 11:24 AM
so no one has ever had any issues with their front shock? Just want some info about fixing the front .

cox
09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
im in the same boat and am curious as well.

rebel33382
09-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I am trying to put some forks from a 200M on my 200ES, I am missing the chrome plate on the triple tree

sandpuppi101
09-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll help ya guy's out since I had this issue on about ever BR that I've ever had,but you guy's gotta be patient with pep's getting to ya,LOL.. Anyway's that is one of Honda's worst ever suspension design's if you ask me ,the way they have it the seal on the fork under the boot ,if that get's water in there from rust which I've mostly seen,it hold's moisture and rot's the metal out and it flow's rite down into the shock cavity,and those shock's are junk.I would'nt worry about a shock compressor pratner,it ain't gonna come flying out,it's siezed up most likely.Here's what I do.Take the fork's off the machine,and then unloosen the bolt's on the bottom,You'll need to lube it up I'm sure on the inside,I use an impact which make's it easier,you'll have to get the shock seperated from the bottom.Now what I do is clean it all up and make sure everything's freed up ,and assemble it all back.Sometime's the shock's are just froze in the from the rust and sometime's the shock can't be loosed up,if that's the case start looking on here or somewhere else for a shock.Read the manual when your doing this too and if ya don't have a manual,kick 3ww a few dollar donation and download it off the site,I think you can do that off of the main page.I hope it help's guy's..

Honda_Dude
09-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I just had issues with front forks on a 250ES Big Red. Mine too, were frozen. It was a pain in the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro getting them apart. On one, the dampening spring was in about 15 pieces. They were caked with gunk inside so I ended up buying a working set off of ebay. I could've saved one, but the other needed some replacement parts.

daniel_250r
09-11-2009, 06:07 PM
i was lucky i might have the only functioning 200es forks in canada, mine were seized but i soaked them with pb and they work great now