PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Touch-Up

speed20
08-01-2003, 01:18 AM
I was going to touch up my handlebars because they are starting to fade...and was wondering if i spray painted them....and used a heat gun to like bake the paint on....would the paint be harder??? Thanks
Brad

Howdy
08-01-2003, 08:43 AM
I doubt it. You might go to Napa and get a Auto paint and it should last longer that way.
Howdy

Dan Tenn
08-01-2003, 08:48 AM
I know a guy that restores older vehicles, and he swears by hot spray paint for stuff that normally doesnt get touced. Like engine brackets, pumps, alternators, etc. Im not sure how it would work on handlebars though. He either sticks the part out in the sun or under a heat lamp until its good and warm, then sprays it and puts it back in the heat till its dry. Seems to work good from what ive seen.

GreenLightening
08-01-2003, 01:41 PM
I wouldnt recommend using a heat gun. paint that gets too hot or dries too fast will do all sorts of nasty stuff. theres nothing wrong with painting somthing that is warm from sitting in the sun. enamel paint will usually work somewhat better if its in the sun warmed up for a while. also if the part is warm it could help the paint to lay down smoother and maybe get a little better shine from it.

But stay away from the heat gun.

also remember to scuff all the old paint on your handlebars with a fine scuff pad to take down the shine a little before you go with new paint. otherwise all your new paint will end up flaking off and looking like hell in a couple of seasons.

Dirtcrasher
08-01-2003, 08:05 PM
I just recently read to put the can in hot water about 140 degrees farinheit and prepare and prime the surface well then spray with the warmed paint it's supposed to be much more durable?? Don't put it on the stove with the can in there LOL I can picture this already!!!

AirManCam
08-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Or you could just buy new handle bars :D

speed20
08-02-2003, 12:27 AM
OR......You can buy me some new Renthals Airmancam! ;)

AirManCam
08-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Hahahah I didnt know they were renthals :D

speed20
08-02-2003, 01:06 PM
I thought they were stock when i first got them....but i got to looking at other 200x's like mine and none had the handlebars like mine did....so i look in some magazines and found out what they were...

AirManCam
08-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Huh. Thats cool! 8)