PDA

View Full Version : BBL's 82 250R update ... she is a runner! New pictures!

maggiesboy
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
so my cousin has this aircooler drop in his lap. A buddy of his is giving it away for free. He knows I'm a trike guy and asks me about it. Go for it I say. It needs a CDI... ebay, no problem. He notices that part of the right case half is broken at a bolt hole. He locates another 82' bullet and here is where I enter. This is what he drops off because some guy has sat on his stuff without touching it for better than a month.

As you can tell, the donor case is a bit of a challenge.

Yamaha_Rules69
09-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like fun!!!!

murphysadvocate
09-09-2009, 01:35 PM
was the poor thing full of water or what?

maggiesboy
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
when I split the cases, it had pine needles, dirt, water. Best guess is that it sat outside for a while.

Bryan Raffa
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
that tranny looks good and the containment stayed in the crank area .. thats a plus!

maggiesboy
09-20-2009, 03:17 PM
an update, as this is moving forward slowly. The trike is here now, damn it looks good!

The engine is going together but I have a question about the stator side of the crank. It has to due with the drive gear collar and crank seal. The seal will not fit flush in the case with the collar in place. Can anyone shed some light on this? Yes it is an aftermarket seal. Could that be the issue?

Tri-z addict
09-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Damn that is a nice looking trike for free!!!!!!

maggiesboy
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Here is a quick update. We plan on firing it off in the morning, and here are pictures from today.

posty2100
09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
great work coming along good, I really like the tires and wheels they stand out nicely.

maggiesboy
09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
an update, as this is moving forward slowly. The trike is here now, damn it looks good!

The engine is going together but I have a question about the stator side of the crank. It has to due with the drive gear collar and crank seal. The seal will not fit flush in the case with the collar in place. Can anyone shed some light on this? Yes it is an aftermarket seal. Could that be the issue?

So I figured out what the problem was .... I had the freakin crank in backwards. I felt like a dumb arse when that sunk in. Just an FYI, I'm sure I'm not the first or last one to pull that move.

maggiesboy
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
We got it fired off this morning. We will continue to adjust jetting and get a good bleed on the brakes then take it for a test ride.

MonroeMike
10-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Great looking bike.

AutoXer
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
your buddy ever wants to give that away let me know first ... ok? LOL

edog
10-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!

You need to upgrade the front rim and tire!!!!!!!

fabiodriven
10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
You need to upgrade the front rim and tire!!!!!!!

I disagree. I think the first gen R's need to keep their big balloon front tire. To me that is the calling card of the first gen R.

rdlsz24
10-02-2009, 10:56 AM
That thing is looking good

Rob

userj8670
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
siiiiiiiiiiiiick bike. Love how its all origional looking then you got them custom meaty tires. Awesome look to it!

max
10-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Great job Maggiesboy on saving another trike and bringing it back to life. You did a most excellent job!:drool:

edog
10-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I would upgrade to the first gen 200X front end. You would have one sick looking trike!!!!!

factoryX
10-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I disagree. I think the first gen R's need to keep their big balloon front tire. To me that is the calling card of the first gen R.

did he not throw that idea out window when he upgraded the rear wheels and tires? Theirs a difference from looks and performance. The front tire is almost the same as a atc185s.

Saul
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
did he not throw that idea out window when he upgraded the rear wheels and tires? Theirs a difference from looks and performance and handling. the front tire is almost the same as a atc185s.

Exactly. I laugh at the people who moan about 'keep the front fatty on there' but neglect aftermarket pipe, aftermarket rear wheels, hub and tires.

And it's not as if the person will take the front fatty and throw it away - the option is there to revert it back to original if need be.

The simple reality is - a front fatty sucks. So does the stock forks. If you want it to be trail worthy and turn 'good' then just bolt on a 200x front. Better suspension and much better looks.

Honda went to a narrow front tire for a reason in 83' - because it works much better. The 1st gen platform needs a better front (IE:200x) AND a longer swingarm if you want them to really 'perform' up to standards with anything made after 83 ...

Throw a 300 in there with a 200x front and a +3 or +4 swingarm and you have a trike that will compete with anything else. Keep it 'stock' and it will quickly become apparent why the suspension and engine changes were made in later years.

p.s. - I dunno how your cousin will like those Holeshots ... they have a crapload of sidebite, not all that fun for sliding. I had Razr's on my 300R and it was good for rough trails - but the turf tamers on it now are much better for 'trike' purposes.

fabiodriven
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't know why people dislike the front fatty so much. I run with the stock size "fatty" on my 85 Tecate and it handles just fine. To each their own I guess.

Saul
10-02-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know why people dislike the front fatty so much. I run with the stock size "fatty" on my 85 Tecate and it handles just fine. To each their own I guess.

'handles just fine' - that statement sums it up perfectly. I thought the fat tire on mine 'handled just fine' too, & maybe it did - but - I can tell you the narrow tire handles MUCH better. The 200x forks are much smoother.

Think about it - if a fat front tire handled better & was a better choice then a narrow front would Honda have changed to a narrow front in 83? :idea:

They key to getting the 1st gen R 'up to snuff' with later models is the front end swap and a longer swingarm.

If 'just fine' is good enough for a 1st gen owner, leave it be. Personally I prefer the looks & performance advantages the 200x swap gives my 1st gen. :)

brownbaglunch
10-02-2009, 11:43 PM
You know 20/20 hindsight the holeshot hds prolly not the best idea but i will work with them till the time's right, and there is always time for the 200 front end conversion, @least thats my 2 cents on that

Saul
10-02-2009, 11:57 PM
You know 20/20 hindsight the holeshot hds prolly not the best idea but i will work with them till the time's right,

Wear em down on pavement. :D

and there is always time for the 200 front end conversion, @least thats my 2 cents on that

For sure! :beer Looks damn good as it sits. :w00t:

:TrikesOwn

85Tecate
10-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I dont get the whole concept of a skinnier tire either, although i do want to change just to "try" it. Im running the stocker on the front of my t3 and i have absolutley to problems turning. If i need to turn quick i just pin the throttle:naughty:

factoryX
10-03-2009, 02:31 AM
also want to point out the tecate 84-85 tire is 10 times better than the 81-82 air fooler tire. the tire used on the air foolers where complete junk. another reason to upgrade from stock rims,w my dads 81 atc250r had stock tires and rims and it was buzzing the hell out of him so he took off the stock tires in the rear and the wheels were bolted together wrong from factory. The left side was sitting half an inch higher than the right.

Bryan Raffa
10-03-2009, 07:15 AM
hey the crank is in backwards..ha that thing is gonna wheelie like no other with them tires.. careful!

edog
10-03-2009, 08:45 AM
'handles just fine' - that statement sums it up perfectly. I thought the fat tire on mine 'handled just fine' too, & maybe it did - but - I can tell you the narrow tire handles MUCH better. The 200x forks are much smoother.

Think about it - if a fat front tire handled better & was a better choice then a narrow front would Honda have changed to a narrow front in 83? :idea:

They key to getting the 1st gen R 'up to snuff' with later models is the front end swap and a longer swingarm.

If 'just fine' is good enough for a 1st gen owner, leave it be. Personally I prefer the looks & performance advantages the 200x swap gives my 1st gen. :)

You forgot the single most important upgrade to the trike....... The suspension needs to be addressed.

We need some video of that girl up and running!!!!!

Saul
10-03-2009, 03:21 PM
You forgot the single most important upgrade to the trike....... The suspension needs to be addressed.

Did you even read what I wrote? :confused:

maggiesboy
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Brown Sac is on his way here for more trike work. Darn near everything anyone has mentioned has been covered by our discussions over many gallons of coffee.

edog
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Did you even read what I wrote? :confused:

Sorry Saul, I usually skip rite over your stuff.:welcome: :lol: