PDA

View Full Version : 85' ATC250R oil leak, what could be wrong?

NewfieBish
09-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey all, noticed some oil on the floor of the garage this morning, the oil is leaking from the bottom seam of the crankcase on the side of the shifting pedal on my 250R. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be oil out in that case in the first place, does anyone know where this leak is coming from? Maybe a seal gone?

Saul
09-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Crank seal on that side probably. Have you pulled your stator cover to see if there is any oil in there?

NewfieBish
09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Crank seal on that side probably. Have you pulled your stator cover to see if there is any oil in there?

Nope, just had a quick look thats all, I'll get it off this afternoon and ill let you guys know how it looks later on this evening!

x.system
09-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Could also be the shift shaft seal. If those get bent they tend to leak.

MagicJames
09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Yeah shift shaft seal happened to me, just a small leak, made me think that i cracked my case.
Check your case for any cracks too.

NewfieBish
09-07-2009, 01:33 PM
i think its the crankshaft seal.. i had the bike turned up on its side a bit to fix the kick starter spring on the other side, and the oil was comin out when it was up on its side.. when i laid the bike flat on the floor the oil stopped comin into the stator case, the reason im guessin is because the only time the oil's actually over the seal is when i had it up on its side, the seal coulda been gone for a while and i woudnt of known.. think its the crankshaft seal anyone else?

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
And HOW does a 2 stroke crank get gear oil in it and then thru a crank seal??

Clean the trike spotless, tip it over and I'm sure you will find the leak.

Then it's just a matter of figuring out what happened (wore out/bent shafts/thrown chain/worn bearing/loose bolt) etc etc etc.

Piece O cake :D

KASEY
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
And HOW does a 2 stroke crank get gear oil in it and then thru a crank seal??

it comes from the clutch side seal,,, there is no oil in the stator side... unless its bad..

Red Rider
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
And HOW does a 2 stroke crank get gear oil in it and then thru a crank seal?A 2-stroke's crank doesn't get any gear oil to lubricate it. The gear oil lubricates the transmission gears, clutch, kickstarter & shifting mechanisms. A 2-stroke's crank gets it's lubrication from the pre-mix oil only.

Dirtcrasher
09-07-2009, 04:29 PM
^, ^^ You guys are killing me....... You should know me by now :lol:

I know how 2 strokes operate, I was merely exaggerating the fact that gear oil does not come out the stator cover without an issue....

No big deal but when "crankseal" got posted I had to post :D

To me, this is one of things that can easily figured out but you have to clean it up, get it warm and watch what happens.

NewfieBish
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah.. im outta town now, all i can tell you guys is that oil was drippin outta the stator cover when the bike was tipped up while i was replacin the kicker spring, now yesterday when i tipped it back up flat on the floor the oil leak stopped.. isn't the only way for it to leak out of the stator cover while tipped up is to be a leaky crankshaft oil seal??

NewfieBish
09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
ohhh i got ya on the crankshaft seal deal.. anyways, i defenitely got a leaky shifter shaft seal, but im still gettin the idea theres oil coming into my stator case, it looks like it anyways, are any of those bolts inside the stator case in contact with any oil i wonder? i pulled out one of those 8mm rod bolts down below the stator, and it had like a rubber seal or somethin around the threads, anybody know what i might be getting at? its defenitely not the sprocket seal though!

NewfieBish
09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
hey, just posting this schematic here, have a look at numbers 22 and 23, number 23 I would assume is the seal for the shifter shaft, and number 22? what is that? its called an oil seal, so could that one be leaking too?

Red Rider
09-10-2009, 02:03 AM
#23 is indeed the shifter-shaft seal, & #22 is the left-side crankshaft seal.