PDA

View Full Version : 84 Tecate Question, clutch arm bolt

pipeliner3481
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I have a question........... there is a bolt that goes into the left side of the case under the clutch arm, that holds the clutch arm in place (first picture, I have a set screw in there now). What is this bolt suppose to look like? There is a groove cut in the clutch arm that looks like a bolt that cut the right length,and with a machined end would fit in that groove and hold the clutch arm in place. The second picture is the bolt that bikebandit sent me and I do not think that this is right. Just wonderin if anyone has one that can tell me, and if it is different does anyone have an extra to help me out.

Thanks
Joel

Dirtcrasher
09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Not that I'm a Kawi guy:

But, usually the end of bolts in that application have a smooth surface and a shoulder cut into them. Other wise the threads would tear up any groove cut into the pivot arm shaft itself.

I was just looking at one of these yesterday as my bud was moving out and I noticed his left side case was broke a bit where that bolt is located.

That just looks like a case guard bolt or something??

pipeliner3481
09-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think it is a case guard bolt. It goes all the way in and pushes on the arm, if you do not tighten it up the clutch arm comes out after awhile, and if you tighten it up to much you can not pull in the clutch, and when you look into that hole the groove that is cut in the shaft lines up with the hole.

lndy650
09-05-2009, 02:57 PM
heres a pic of one out of an 84 bottom end i have laying around if you want ill send it to you in a envelope free. that one seems long and you can see this one has a beveled end

Dirtcrasher
09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
What I meant was it looks like the wrong bolt entirely and thought it might be a case guard or other bolt from the left case that got mixed up somehow.......

The bolt Indy showed you is more what I though the correct bolt would look like.

IDK how good you are with your hands and eyes but, If your in a pinch:

I have made these (shoulder type bolts) on a lathe. BUT, you can also make them with a variable speed drill held wide open and secured into a big vice (or any other means of holding it solid) Then you can rough cut it down with a dremel or cut off wheel and then fine tune it up with a sharp file while the vice holds the drill solid and the chuck of the drill holds the bolt solid.

The only other thing you have to do is get the depth correct. Once you have the groove diameter and turn the bolt a bit smaller than that groove, leave it very long and thread it in until it binds the shaft. Then simply measure the exposed length and chop that off until it's .010 (give or take) less than the incorrect length......

Not sure if that makes sense, not sure if you even want to bother with it but I'm just trying to give you some options here.

There have been times I had no money and a pitiful example of tools, but if you use a bit of ingenuity you can get things real close with practice and hand eye coordination :beer :D

pipeliner3481
09-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Indy650 I pmed you

Dirtcrasher me and you are on the same page, after I wrote this I went out an measured the gap and I am going to go out to work and turn the new bolt on the lathe and just keep cuttin it down until I get the right length. Been there however on the no money, no tools thing. Thanks guys