PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225DX Clutch engagement

jeepnjay
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey guys I FINALLY got the engine rebuilt and back in my wheeler. Took it for a spin around house and the clutch was slow to engage. I would give it throttle and it would go, slowly almost as if it was pushing something . And then the clutch would kick in and she would wheelie an take off like a bat out of he!!.
I see there is an adjuster nut on the right side case for the clutch. should I turn this to Increase or decrease? The Clymer manual just says clutch may be out of adjustment but does not explain any further. Anyone have experience with these machines. I would greatly appreciate the help.
Thanks
Jay

MonroeMike
09-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Loosen the locknut. Turn the clutch adjuster with a screwdriver counter clockwise until resistance is felt. Turn it back, 1/8 turn (clockwise). Tighten the locknut to 11 ft.-lbs.

tims200m
09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
man i have the exact same problem with my ytm 200, it is slow to engage on take off, and then it suddenly kicks in and wheelies. i posted my question on this board months ago, but no one here was able to give me a straight answer, at least not the 3 people that replied, so im curious to see what responses you get. good luck

Frankencelery
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
My 225DX is the same way, but on mine something inside is broken. I tried to adjust the clutch, and it wouldn't move. There is a part inside this mechanism that apparently commonly breaks. I plan to fix mine soon, and I will report on what I find.

tims200m
09-05-2009, 08:33 AM
My 225DX is the same way, but on mine something inside is broken. I tried to adjust the clutch, and it wouldn't move. There is a part inside this mechanism that apparently commonly breaks. I plan to fix mine soon, and I will report on what I find.

frankencelery, i think you are referring to the shift arm with the adjuster nut for the secondary clutch adjustment, those things are notorious for breaking on these trikes. unfortunately they only adjust the secondary clutch, basically it fine tunes how far this clutch is disengaged when you shift gears, the centrifical clutch cannot be adjusted. i wish you could rebuild these like on a honda.

Lukeatc185
09-05-2009, 08:53 AM
long shot... but run some new high mileage oil with cleaner through it a few times. when i first got my DXK it would not shift properly and the clutch would be peckish. would not ease into any rolling it would just rev then shoot for the takeoff once i got to a high enough RPM. i bought 5L of mobile 1 high mileage oil /w cleaner inside. cost me $10 more then normal oil but after running 2 oil changes only about an hour after another. the clutch problems stopped. and the gunk and black stuff that came out after the oil change was crazy.

Frankencelery
09-06-2009, 11:44 PM
So we're all just unhappy because they don't perform like Hondas, you can't adjust them like Hondas, and the adjuster arm commonly breaks, unlike Hondas.

What does that tell you guys? :D

jeepnjay
09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
After tearing down my parts motor I think I found the cause. The primary clutch is centrifical, and the pads wear, causing slippage. I am going to take apart the clutch in my wheeler today and see, which one is better.
Jay

jeepnjay
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
That was it!!! I swapped primary clutches and she takes off like a raped ape.
I will eventually need to replace the clutch but it works for now. She is right at the minimum tolerance. For those of you with the same problem the part can be purchased new yamaha part #4BD-16620-00-00 CLUTCH CARRIER ASSY, For about $172.
Thanks for all the replys.
Jay

bad350
09-08-2009, 10:43 PM
take a look at the 250 timberwolf/beartracker clutch they are built alot better than the orginal and is a direct bolt on! the spring will usually break in the orginal

jeepnjay
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks I will check that out!
Jay

jeepnjay
09-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I checked and it seems they are the same part # as above. So it must be a direct replacement for the old style.
Jay