PDA

View Full Version : grrr 85 carrier stuck, and the axle nut in locked up to!

factoryX
08-28-2009, 08:52 PM
so I have a new chain cut to stock length and I am trying to install it, what do you the carrier is stuck. so, I am thinking that it is simple like loosing the axle nut and just use a plumbers wrench on the carrier, no that locked up as well....any ideas?

mohadib
08-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I had to PB and wire brush the axle and use huge channel locks(480) to get the first nut off. The to get the second, more PB and I pulled the cotter key out of the castalated hub nut and put in a nail. Had my buddy hold the hub nut while I used huge channel locks to get off the second axle nut. I should mention I didnt have a chain on at the time.

Xowner
08-28-2009, 09:02 PM
this is 250r right? take the two allen head bolts lose stick screw driver or a flat piece of steel threw the sprocket and push the trike back! (best done with two people) it uses the weight of the machine to turn the carrier! you dont have to take the axle lock nut off

factoryX
08-28-2009, 09:55 PM
if this works your god...

whyzee
08-29-2009, 12:01 PM
factory X, i am having the same problem........
going on 2 weeks now. I ended up finding an old chain that fit and put it back on. I have been spraying the entire setup with PB , running it with the axle nut loose, the allen heads bolts that squeeze the carrier removed and it still won't budge. Every single tooth has been broken off ( 1/2 before I got it) I know the rear brake carrier has got it all seized up. I just don't have the strength yet to take it all apart ( surgery on my wrist w/ screws)
Let me know how you finally make out. I had to use a 20" pipe wrench and a 2lb sledge hammer just to get the axle nut loose. ( that was scary 1 handed :)

Xowner
08-29-2009, 01:35 PM
if this works your god...

i am god i know this!

pull the rubbers out that are in where the pinch bolts go that helps a lot too

factoryX
08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
well it moves to tighten the chain up but it does not like going back, just bent 2 wrenches and sheered tooth off the carrier lol. are 85 250r known for this? because if so I am just going to buy a freaking 86 swinger lol...

Mosh
08-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds like someone has the carrier stop, on the wrong side of the stopper bolt.

Take the middle bolt out of the center swingarm and see the carrier moves both ways.

Russell 350X
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Take both allen bolts and the stopper bolt out, GENTLY pry where the allen bolts go. Take it out and put a light coat of grease on it. You do not need to remove the axle nut to move the carrier, but if i were you I'd pull everything and lube the carrier so you don't run into this problem again. If you still havent gotten the nut loose borrow torches from someone and heat it up good, and a pipe wrench( I know, I hate using pipewrenches in these, but if there stuck a 36" usually does the trick).

factoryX
08-30-2009, 01:57 AM
way ahead of you, I am pulling the carrier off tomorrow but good news is that the carrier is not seized any more but now the carrier is stuck to the rear break mount. also, the rear end has never been apart since well 1985 and the rear brake hub is stuck pretty good but at least I got the axle nut off. Also, will the 86 trx250r swinger bolt on with the 85 swinger parts other than the brake mount? I used the search bar and could not find any info on it.

Pafrig
09-04-2009, 02:42 AM
you shouldnt have to loosen axle nuts to get the carrier loose.

factoryX
09-04-2009, 03:00 PM
lol, I know but the carrier was stuck, so I was going to take the carrier out to lube everything up.

Pafrig
09-05-2009, 02:09 AM
BENT wrenches??