PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200X motor

Dave's1985200X
08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Ok, here is the deal...................... I rebuilt the topend and now I have oil coming from the breather tub on the bottom end of the motor. Is it an oil flow issue or is there compression in the bottom end due to the rings maybe being a little out of the alignment they are supposed in???

Any help would be great! Thanks guys

Dave

shortline10
08-28-2009, 09:03 PM
You didnt put too much oil in it did ya ? I would run it a bit to see if the rings will seat (Break it In) as I have had them take a good 20 minuets of riding before they seat . I also hope you didnt use a synthetic oil as this might not let the rings seat also .

harryredtrike
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
1985 200x only takes a quart almost exactly.if thats all you put in then you have a pressure problem.building up and blowing out the crankcase breather.

oscarmayer
08-29-2009, 02:35 PM
^ +1
did you plug up a oil hole iwht silicone sealant by accident? did you install a gasket incorrectly? did you over fill it?

WIkid500
08-29-2009, 06:36 PM
That shouldn't be a problem. I broke my 85 200x engine in with synthetic amsoil with a quart and a half in the case and never had oil pouring out the breather. I would run it for a while and watch the oil consumption. It might take a few miles to break in the rings. On and off the gas under load is the best way. You by chance didn't line the ring gaps up when you put it together allowing for pressure to get by did you?

MonroeMike
08-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Did you put the rings in the correctly?

Top ring is usually shiny or has a shiny edge, 2nd ring is normally all black.

Markings facing up.

Are they clocked correctly?

If you have them incorrect, you will most likely get blow by, which will cause oil to come out the breather.

Here's a good article on rings and blow by.

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/pcrops.htm

Dave's1985200X
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys.................... It's not too much oil and it's probably got a solid hour on the motor now. I know it needs more break on time, b ut the oil concerned me.
There isa chance that therings are not clocked correctly, I will be puling thejug to check it. Oh, the oil i n the machine is standard and honda brand

rdlsz24
11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
You didnt put too much oil in it did ya ? I would run it a bit to see if the rings will seat (Break it In) as I have had them take a good 20 minuets of riding before they seat . I also hope you didnt use a synthetic oil as this might not let the rings seat also .

Shortline how did you know when they finally seated? I just rode my 200x for the first time yesterday after boring/honing and putting in a new Wiseco. I am getting a decent amount of white smoke still after about 10 minutes of run time.

Rob

shortline10
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Shortline how did you know when they finally seated? I just rode my 200x for the first time yesterday after boring/honing and putting in a new Wiseco. I am getting a decent amount of white smoke still after about 10 minutes of run time.

Rob

Just dont do the norm mistake were people think its broken in when it stopped smoking and realize it was out of oil :eek: :beer . Sometimes it takes a few short rides to break in a motor . I have also seen were a motor was smoking real bad before the rebuild and the exhaust baffel was saturated in oil making it look like it was a motor problem but in reality just the baffel oil burning out .
Questions does it smoke when first started or does it take a little bit ?
Did you replace the valve seals ?
Did you make sure the green oil seal was installed on the head gasket ?
Did you use a new head gasket ?
;)

rdlsz24
11-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Just dont do the norm mistake were people think its broken in when it stopped smoking and realize it was out of oil :eek: :beer . Sometimes it takes a few short rides to break in a motor . I have also seen were a motor was smoking real bad before the rebuild and the exhaust baffel was saturated in oil making it look like it was a motor problem but in reality just the baffel oil burning out .
Questions does it smoke when first started or does it take a little bit ?
Did you replace the valve seals ?
Did you make sure the green oil seal was installed on the head gasket ?
Did you use a new head gasket ?
;)

You know what the more I have been thinking about it the more I think it could be that the silencer is full of nasty oil. I have noticed it all gunked up around the baffel. It smoked really bad before the rebuild from running it with a broken piston. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/JunkPiston.jpg

It does start smoking right away. There is a bigger puff when I give it throttle. Valve seals are new, as is the oil pump and piston. I used one of the new metal gaskets from Honda and I guess you don't use the little oil seal?? There was a diagram that came with it and I followed it to a T. Here is a thread about it: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=95537

Rob

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 04:52 PM
did you make sure you put the o ring in the opening in the headgasket? And also you will always have air coming out of the crank case breather. it just shouldnt be smoke. hows the plug look?

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I dont believe in that head gasket. The o-ring suppose to be there for a reason.

shortline10
11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I dont believe in that head gasket. The o-ring suppose to be there for a reason.

I have never herd of these gaskets either . No oil seal seems :crazy:

rdlsz24
11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
It is what you get now when you order an oem head gasket for the 185s/200 motors. I don't even know that you can get the older style unless you go with a Vesrah one, etc.

But anyway, I don't think that is the problem since it seems to be getting oil to the top end just fine. I guess I will keep an eye on the oil level and keep taking it on short rides to see if the muffler will clear out and/or the rings will seal.

Rob

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
throw the muffler in a fire if you got one

rdlsz24
11-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah we do have a fireplace. Won't that cook the finish off of it? lol

Rob

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
is it a stock one? I did it to mine and it cleaned it right out. some of the paint came off but no biggie. Just throw some hi temp paint over it

rdlsz24
11-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah it's stock I may have to try that.

Rob

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm Tellin ya. it might sound wierd but let me tell you.. it works.

Mud1m
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
A good way to find out if its the exhaust is when its running take a torch and heat up the side of the muffler and see if it smokes more. Hope this works for ya!!