PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally one of those guys I hate

bonkers_200s
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Last night I bought an 85 250es bigred for SIXTY FRICKEN DOLLARS!!!!!!

I was visiting with my mother, like a good little boy. I get a random phone call from this guy. Last year I offered him $400 for it and the deal just never went down.

Now he says $50 and faster than greased owl @!$#% I kissed momma goodbye and floored it to his house, loaded it in his truck and had it dropped at my house before he could change his mind, gave him $10 for gas.

All stock, all original, I believe I'm now the third owner.

Needs all new rubbers and isnt running.

The carb was so damn clogged up I almost didn't believe it. I got it all pretty and back together again. Now the over flow continues to have fuel flow out of it.

Thats how far I got at 4am and couldn't see straight any more so I gave up after have the carb on and off twice.

The float doesn't seem to be stuck unless its rubbing on the inside of the bowl and I can't see it.

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how much fluid should be in the back end drive differential?

Everything that I can see throught he fill plug looks great, its wet but doesn't seem to have very much fluid in it.

rdlsz24
08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Good pick up! I have had good luck adjusting the float to stop the flow of gas. I just bend the tab a little so that the stopper goes up in the passage far enough. This has worked on 2 carbs for me.

Rob

bonkers_200s
08-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Thats a good trick to use, but this isn't a brass float. its all plastic except for the needle valve and I'm scared to snap it.

I'm thinking maybe over time the rubber tip on the needle valve may have shrunk? I like the old brass ones much better.

200xman
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
The final drive holds a little over 3 ounces of 80w gear oil. The 1985 models had a problem with water getting in the rear from a bad seal on the swingarm boot so keep an eye on that. There is a drain plug on the left side of the drive or you can remove the fill and stand the bike up to drain it.

Lukeatc185
08-28-2009, 05:54 PM
the float may not be getting stuck. but if its as dirty as you say.. the pin holding the floats on if it gets to dirty or corroded can jam the floats. kept happening to me. i pulled it out cleaned it off nice and now im good.

edog
08-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Last night I bought an 85 250es bigred for SIXTY FRICKEN DOLLARS!!!!!!

I was visiting with my mother, like a good little boy. I get a random phone call from this guy. Last year I offered him $400 for it and the deal just never went down.

Now he says $50 and faster than greased owl @!$#% I kissed momma goodbye and floored it to his house, loaded it in his truck and had it dropped at my house before he could change his mind, gave him $10 for gas.

All stock, all original, I believe I'm now the third owner.
X owner X owner

Needs all new rubbers and isnt running.

The carb was so damn clogged up I almost didn't believe it. I got it all pretty and back together again. Now the over flow continues to have fuel flow out of it.

Thats how far I got at 4am and couldn't see straight any more so I gave up after have the carb on and off twice.

The float doesn't seem to be stuck unless its rubbing on the inside of the bowl and I can't see it.

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how much fluid should be in the back end drive differential?

Everything that I can see throught he fill plug looks great, its wet but doesn't seem to have very much fluid in it.

X owner X owner X owner X owner

bonkers_200s
08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry the camera in my phone is on the fritz, and I had a choice, run out and waste money on a new trike to play with or go buy a camera.

I chose new trike:beer

Gearheadtom
08-28-2009, 06:35 PM
The way I test all float type carborators is that I take them off, emty the bowl of gas, flip them upside down, and try to blow into the spot that the fuel line hooks onto. If you can blow through easily, the float is stuck up (up, now that the carb is upside down).

bonkers_200s
08-28-2009, 07:10 PM
The way I test all float type carborators is that I take them off, emty the bowl of gas, flip them upside down, and try to blow into the spot that the fuel line hooks onto. If you can blow through easily, the float is stuck up (up, now that the carb is upside down).

Did that and I still taste gas all damn day. works like a charm as long as you don't put it together.

Another thing I'm mulling over in my head, the bottom screw to open the drain when I took it out to clean the bowl was cranked in very tight and had some shmootz around it.

I'm wondering if thats not seating properly or if the o ring on the pin is damaged now and allowing fuel to pass through.

But, I'm stuck at work until midnight and am forced to work on pin spotters instead of trikes:( All these thoughts running through my head are useless right now:(

Erics350x
08-28-2009, 09:49 PM
sounds like it time for a carb kit.

bmertler
08-29-2009, 04:59 AM
I agree with erics350x and soak the carb overnight in carb cleaner wouldnt hurt either but beware carb cleaner will ruin seals so remove them. (aka it warps seals)

86-87
http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-86-87-ATC-250ES-Carburetor-Carb-Kit-ATC250ES_W0QQitemZ230369388133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a315e665&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-1985-ATC250ES-Carburetor-Carb-Kit-ATC-250ES_W0QQitemZ290341758579QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMoto rs_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4399b7a673&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

rdlsz24
08-29-2009, 07:19 AM
What I like to do is take the carb off and test it with water in the sink until I get it to stop leaking. That way you aren't wasting gas and stinking up your garage in the process.

Rob

bonkers_200s
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Update

It sat in pieces long enough to fix itself as far as the gas leaking goes.

Got it running last night, this thing is a one kick monster.

Rear brake was froze, got that working and what not.

Reverse cable is broken.

Heres where it gets real !#$#$% stupid.

Its a friends house that I've rode with and worked on junk with my whole life. Hes over eager and likes to take on a lot of stuff because he thinks the rest of the world can't do them.

The electric start doesn't work when he hooked it up to a jump box. There was a wire that I repeatedly told him is ground wire. It has an eyelette and was placed on the same bolt that holds the airbox to the frame. Turn my back and the SOB puts juice to it and poof we've got smoke coming from just about everyhere that theres a wire plugged into another one.

Thank god it still runs that green wire runs into the stator and is now slightlyt charged here and there.

Should I kill him?

oscarmayer
08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
kick him in the nuts with pointy boots!!! I would. ;)

code200k
08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
^^ take him for a ride really far away and he will be ate by a bear.....