PDA

View Full Version : timing coming undone on a 200x?

Daltons200x
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
i was just working on my 200x and i elimiated alot of wires. and when i went to start it it was poping back through the carb like it was advanced in timing. i ran the bike about 2 weeks ago and it ran great and i havent touched the engine since. could eliminating the healdight and tailight wires change anything? or is there any other reason the timeing could be thrown off just sitting there?

also my carb decided to start leaking. after sitting with no gas in it. this bike is very frustraighting.....

Dirtcrasher
08-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Ask yourself what changed.... You said you eliminated wires?? Could that be it? I doubt it - you said Tl and Hl wires which shouldn't be an issue. Why would you chop those out anyhow??

If the carb is leaking, look to the carb - it's the only thing that changed :D Metal tanks have rust (do you run an inline filter??) Carbs get pissed off easy, every jet, every piece has to come off be inspected and cleaned with carb cleaner. The gas with ethanol is supposed to be terrible..........

If you just let it sit for 2 weeks , whats with the timing being off thoughts??

Daltons200x
08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
oh i know all about the ethonal in the gas. i work at a lawnmower shop and almost every mower the carbs are trash from the new gas. thats why i let it sit dry. i took it apart and went over it but i guess ill do it again tomarrow.

i went over everything i could think of.i eliminated the wires because i havent used them in years and i was putting in the teather kill switch and realized i didnt need all that extra old wireing around.

lndy650
08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
its probly backfiring due to the carb issue... the only thing with the wiring it could be is if you left a bare wire such as the kill switch wire bare(black/white stripe) and its grounding out. also if your tether is grounding out.... try leaving the tether unhooked and see if it changes and go through all the wires make sure they arent striped or wore through. but like i said its probly the carb issue which sounds like theres crap in the needle and seat.

leevarnado
08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
sound like a carb problem,have you checked the timing,if it has sliped,your going to need new cam chain and new tensioners

Macs
08-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Follow Dirtcrashers direction...... But i wouldnt rule out the wiring. There was a few bikes when i was just a le lad that i decided to butch the lights off of. Then i would have serious grounding issues and very strange problems That honestly didnt have nothing to do with it. But somehow caused major confusion....... I am extremly educated in electrical, electronic, circuitry and instrument design with many years of field experience, but still cant explain it. It seems most people ( including myself ) seem to not do it right.................. I mean chop off wires i shouldnt have.

Alright guys, i opened the flood gates to make fun of me. Have a blast, just being honest!

Daltons200x
09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
alright so ive cleaned the carb and rechecked and checked the timing again and just got a brand new plug and it runs ok. but is extremely lazy. it seems like its getting way to much fuel or soemthing of that nature but i just cant pin point it. it revs really slow and just sounds really lazy. idk how the power is because i cant ride it were i live or ill get arrested lol. but i did tweak the air fuel mixture i went all the way in untill it stopped then out 1 1/2 turns out. thats what i read on here was about the right spot. and if anything i thought that would be to lean but its running way fat? and it has a cobra pipe and no air filter atm with stock jets. so im not sure how it could be so overfuled? or is my timing just to retarted? i lined it all up but it seems like its either really rich or my timing is retarted but i just cant narrow it down. ..sorry for the dumb post but imt rying to figure it out as i type and im just hoping someone has something that is slipping my mind right now?

also ive tried advancing the timing in small doses and after a point it wont start, then i retard it till it will start again and it has that lazy act goin on? im fairly stumped right now and need this thing ready to race this weekend lol

oscarmayer
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
did you check the CDI itself? the rotating assembly has springs that mechanically advance the timig if the springs break or get stuck it will cause a problem.

Daltons200x
09-01-2009, 07:20 PM
i went out and just moved it like by hand i can tun the little spinny thing and it with spring back. so it seemes like that auto advance or w/e it is seems to be in check

also about a month ago the bike ran great and then wasnt messed with.. so i dont think anything is off on the internals.