PDA

View Full Version : Tips for painting gas tank?

inv3ctiv3
08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
It's time for me to start making the 200x look a little better so first things first I need to repaint the gas tank! It is pretty dent free but has some green overspray on it from the old owner and old stickers on it, etc.

So what should I do to prep it for paint? Just sandpaper it (what grit is best for this application) and any sort of special paint I should use?

Thanks again! :TrikesOwn

Yamaha_Rules69
08-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I would start at probly a wet sand paper 220 work your way up to a 600 or so. maybe use a razor blade to take the stickers off, prime it, and sand the primer with like 600 or 1000 grit. I would'nt use rustoleum rattle can paint, and the gas will eat at it if you spill a little on the tank, and make it turn brown. I would go with some engine paint or such from an automotive store (napa, advanced auto, parts city, etc) That paint seems to hold up a lot better. If it were me, I would rather paint it with a pneumatic air gun, but not everyone has the setup. Remember, prep is the key to make the final result look the way you want it.

AutoXer
08-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I allways wondered what that pearl white Cadillac paint would look like on a wheeler ...

shortline10
08-27-2009, 06:10 PM
If you want to use knocker ball paint I would recommend a lacquer as it is less prone to have issues with gas . Can buy it at your local auto repair store .

Dirtcrasher
08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
The tough thing about tanks is that if you spraybomb it, you'll have to be very careful with overspill for awhile. IDK why? but it seems like once the paint is on for awhile, sits in the sun, gets washed etc etc - it gets a bit more tolerant to fuel spills. But Edog paint has it's limitations esp in a petroleum environment....

Grind or blast off any rust, fill the holes with puddy and big dents with Bondo (bondo likes a rough surface, like 60 grit) then scuff it all up with some 400 grit or so and have a ball. Sometimes when I have used reg paint, I do one coat, then wet sand that with 600 and do a couple more coats.

We all know it's not gonna be an outstanding finish so look at it like an expirement and do the best you can. It's big money to coat and restore a tank and probably the main reason that guys switch over to plastic. Butr, for a few hours and 20$ worth of paint and materials it's worth a go :beer

Good luck and POST UP PICS :D

Gearheadtom
08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I used Krylon paint on my 200m tank, and if I got any gas on it, the paint would ripple where the gas was.

sdm111
08-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I have had success using spray can appliance epoxy from Home Depot. The white lays good and it has held up to gas spills.

Macs
08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
If you have a gun, just spray it with some good automotive paint. For little jobs like that you can buy a premixed bottle. You can spray a tank and have a bit left over. I buy mine from house of color. $8 for a premixed bottle. Just put in gun and spray ( maybe thin a bit ). Also for small jobs like that you can buy cheap HVLP guns off ebay that work great.

On a tank i basically follow this.

If tank is dented, strip the paint off the top of the tank. Apply some putty. Sand it down smooth starting course and finishing with 220 or 400. Apply a thick layer of primer. wet sand it down with fine sand paper 600 or better. Might need to apply a second coat of primer depending on skills and repeat. Apply your first coat of paint and wet sand with very fine grit. Apply as many coats as you want. Spray with clear. If you want extra coats of clear which i prefer. Wetsand, apply etc etc until your happy. It is pretty simple but expect to screw up your first few times. My first time to paint a car was a nightmare.

code200k
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I allways wondered what that pearl white Cadillac paint would look like on a wheeler ...

:drool: that would look crazy... caddy themed trike anyone????