PDA

View Full Version : Grease Zerks...

samster143
07-30-2003, 03:28 PM
I was reading a thread here and it led to grease zerks on trikes. I have been thinking of adding some lately to my 200X. Is this possible on a 1985 model? I have seen these on quads, in the axle carrier,a-arms, and etc. Has anyone done these mods on a 1985 200x? Front wheel, swingarm pivot, and rear axle housing. would the grease squirt through the sealed bearings? the bearing seals? is this a possible (or useful) modification? thanks

jeswinehart
07-30-2003, 04:12 PM
i removed the seals when i added zirks to front and back axles.
i also put zirks in the swing arm, brake pivot also.

i have had my 350x for 2 years now and probbly only put 10 miles on it in the back yard so it's a little early to tell for me if it was worth it,,,

john

TeCaTe_MaN
07-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Tech Tip: if you put a blob of weld where you plan to put it and drill the hole thru the blob and then the swingarm or whatever you will have more threads :D it is possible on any bike just drill a hole (better with a blob of weld) and if you do it in your bearing carryer take the inner seals out and leave the outer ones in and juust fill it all the way up with grease untill it comes out around our sprocket, it will take a little while since that is a tight fut by the sorcket hub...prob a couple days but fill it untill it is all presurized ;)

nitekrawler
07-30-2003, 07:14 PM
I have a 250r Atc '82 does it have them already? If not, can someone post a pic of what it looks like when you do it :-D

TeCaTe_MaN
07-30-2003, 08:26 PM
these are a couple of the zerks i have in my tecate, i just greased the suspension linkage one so you can see what i was talking about with the grease leaking out (just wipe up afterwards) much less of a hassle than dismantling everything ;) i poured some gas on the grease to eat it and make cleanup easyer but i was on a slope and it ran down my swingarm and made a mess :oops: :evil: :x having these makes everything easyer and if you look on the axil carrier you can see the little blob of weld that is there for the zerk

nitekrawler
07-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Is that stock or did you put those there? Thanks for pic

TeCaTe_MaN
07-30-2003, 08:36 PM
no, i had to install all of the zirks myself, but it is pretty easy ;)

Dirtcrasher
07-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Tech Tip: if you put a blob of weld where you plan to put it and drill the hole thru the blob and then the swingarm or whatever you will have more threads :D it is possible on any bike just drill a hole (better with a blob of weld) and if you do it in your bearing carryer take the inner seals out and leave the outer ones in and juust fill it all the way up with grease untill it comes out around our sprocket, it will take a little while since that is a tight fut by the sorcket hub...prob a couple days but fill it untill it is all presurized ;)

Welding works but depending on the material and rod - can be hard as a rock - I like to braise (strong but user friendly) 10-32 nuts on there, drill them with a #3 drill and tap 1/4-28 thread for the fitting. I'd just hate to see someone cursing you when their drill bit goes SQWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!.

TeCaTe_MaN
07-30-2003, 08:57 PM
i think he used a stick welder when he did it...i didnt watch him...he might have ised a wire welder :? :?: :?

200x Basket
07-30-2003, 09:12 PM
i just drill the hole and weld the nut over it 8) simple and easy! it is a good idea but easier done on some trikes then others.

TeCaTe_MaN
07-30-2003, 09:17 PM
good idea.....whatever gets the grease to the bearings ;)

Dirtcrasher
07-30-2003, 10:04 PM
good idea.....whatever gets the grease to the bearings ;)

You bet!! I even found a place for the Blaster swsngarm to get some zerks, have to install 1 to grease it and then remove it and plug it before riding it - These guys leave like 0 room for messing around sometimes.

speed20
07-31-2003, 01:38 AM
Yep.....got 2 on my swingarm (for the pivot bolt&bearings) and 1 on the rear axle carrier....works damn good!! the grease may come out of the swingarm one...but i dont think it would on the carrier...but im not sure

TeCaTe_MaN
07-31-2003, 07:02 AM
yes, it will come out of the carrier if you pack it, i have a pic that you can see it oozing out by my sprocket hub. :rolleyes: it is that dark stuff :rolleyes:

TeCaTe_MaN
08-04-2003, 07:00 PM
;)