PDA

View Full Version : My 350X spark problems have returned.

Hoosier_Daddy
08-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I got it to fire up a while back and run. I left it sit while my daughter was up from KY for the summer. I went out and tried to start it a week or so ago and now i have no spark again. I have doudle checked and cleaned all grounds and I am stumped. I know, big surprise me being stumped out something):lol:

Now, I have no spark again. I tried cleaning the connectors and used dialectric grease to get good connection. I have a brand new alternator and flywheel on it. I have concluded that it may be the CDI. The coil seems to checkout with the volt meter. But that is no guarantee. I'm ready to replace the coil, the CDI and the AC regulator.

I know there is no guarantee that this will solve my problem but I've gone through everything like a fine tooth comb. Plus, the trike never had an AC regulator on it when i bout it so I know it will run without one but without it, I'll blow light bulbs and such.

I have an original OEM350X seat that happens to be in great shape that i would consider trading for the working electrical parts i need. I'm out of options.:cry:

Yamaha_Rules69
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I had the same problem on my 200x, I rode it one day it was fine, and then just up and wouldnt start the next. I ohm'd out my ignition coil, and got a scetchy reading, but checked fine one test, then I'd try it again and got somthing completely opposite. I replaced it with a different coil I had laying around, and it fired up in the first pull! You can also ohm out a CDI, you will have to look at the manual, because it tells you to go from specific post to post after you have it unplugged. Good luck, and hope I helped a little. ------- Jon.

Erics350x
08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Next time it does it bang on the cdi and see if it fires. Im not sure if its the 350 or 200 that has a couple bullet connectors under the tank, if it has em make sure they aren't reversed or loose

Hoosier_Daddy
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give those a shot.

lndy650
08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
stator coils like to play games like that hopefully thats not your problem but its a possibility

Yamada
08-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Brand new spark plug?

Hoosier_Daddy
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Yep, new plug and new flywheel and stator/alternator. I'm stumped. Maybe I bumped the CDI around too much while assembly or disassembly? Is it easy to knock a CDI out of commission? I'm just lost on this.

RapidRick
08-22-2009, 09:07 AM
I have the same prob. We pulled mine to see if the stator worked and the light came on nicely, with new plug.

We need to use the meter on the different components and also check the continuity of the wires, grounding points, and connections also.

I have seen those wires crack. Start at one end and check every component. Don't forget the off-on-off switch and the grounding plate within the plastic hood.

That's my task this evening. I'll let you know my results.

Good luck :wondering

Hoosier_Daddy
08-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I have the same prob. We pulled mine to see if the stator worked and the light came on nicely, with new plug.

We need to use the meter on the different components and also check the continuity of the wires, grounding points, and connections also.

I have seen those wires crack. Start at one end and check every component. Don't forget the off-on-off switch and the grounding plate within the plastic hood.

That's my task this evening. I'll let you know my results.

Good luck :wonderingYes, please let me know what you find out. Thanks

Erics350x
08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
CDI's are harder to kill than you'd think. It sounds like you have a wiring problem to me. Did you pinch the wiring when installing the motor?

Hoosier_Daddy
08-23-2009, 01:43 AM
CDI's are harder to kill than you'd think. It sounds like you have a wiring problem to me. Did you pinch the wiring when installing the motor?
Not that I'm aware of. I actually took off all the wire protective cases and exposed the wires completely. Cant find any pinches or bare wires.
I'm about ready to replace every wire with a new one, one by one just to be sure.

The Goat
08-23-2009, 08:58 AM
not a bad idea when you think that the harness is made with the minimum amount of copper they could get away with.

RapidRick
08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Well, the ohms on the exciter wire and a couple of the cdi terminal pairs were not within specs. I've only got a cheap ohm meter at home but access to a far better one.

I'm going to recheck both of those components and will post back.

:wondering :wondering :wondering

Hoosier_Daddy
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
What sucks the most, one of my prized possessions I have to seell to buy some new electrical stuff. I put the seat on ebay that I wanted to eventually recover and use for my 350X. The seat that is on there is junk but the seat I'm selling is an excellent condition original and i really hate to part with it.

Anyway, I guess I'll try to pop in from time to time but I start classes today and going to school full time and working is quite a hassle. Throw in family time and there's nothing left!

RapidRick
08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Well rechecked the cdi and it looks like it needs to be replaced. No resistance where there needs to be some.

Bummer

Going to swap another exciter and cdi in, i've got a spare.

Dirtcrasher
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm very glad to hear that someone is helping HD :D

I mentioned this before - The 350X runs with the kill/lt switch removed at the main plug. "OFF" grounds out the circuit, so unless it won't shut off - cleaning the handlebars and the contact will not make a motor run....... If it's unplugged completely, it can be ruled out.

HD mentioned the VR too - the voltage regulator has no effect on the spark. It regulates voltage to the head and tail light, thats all.......

beets442
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
+1..... On/Off switch or CDI. Hope you get this electric gremlin Hoosier, at least you got to ride it for a bit. DON'T give up!Good luck Beets

RapidRick
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I mentioned this before - The 350X runs with the kill/lt switch removed at the main plug. "OFF" grounds out the circuit, so unless it won't shut off - cleaning the handlebars and the contact will not make a motor run....... If it's unplugged completely, it can be ruled out.

Yep, your right. and if there is corrosion in the switch causing a ground the engine will not start. Therefor the suggestion to check that area. Trying to be thorough and help out. Seems like you have it well under control.

Hoosier_Daddy
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm very glad to hear that someone is helping HD :D

HD mentioned the VR too - the voltage regulator has no effect on the spark. It regulates voltage to the head and tail light, thats all.......
Yes, I took your advice when you explained that before and unhooked the kill switch, and the kill switch is currently not hooked up at all. So, I guess that isn't this particular problem.

Hoosier_Daddy
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
+1..... On/Off switch or CDI. Hope you get this electric gremlin Hoosier, at least you got to ride it for a bit. DON'T give up!Good luck Beets
Thanks for the bout of confidence, bro.:beer

Yeah, I agree, I'm thinking CDI at this point since it seems to be erratic working at one point then not at other times. I don't know. I'm just so electrically ignorant, no joke.:(

beets442
08-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Hoosier I sent you a PM-Beets

Hoosier_Daddy
08-26-2009, 01:02 AM
OK, I got it. Sent back.

fabiodriven
08-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Beets, I liked that picture you posted and then took right down. I wonder if I was the only person to see that?

beets442
08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I didn't want to get in trouble so I removed it.

Dirtcrasher
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
ATCST@Verizon.net would love to see it :D

Hoosier_Daddy
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Beets, I liked that picture you posted and then took right down. I wonder if I was the only person to see that?
What did I miss?:lol:

KiLLaD
12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a similar problem with my 350x. I just rebuild the motor. It has great compression. Its getting fuel there just seems to be intermittent spark. I replaced the coil and plug and now it has spark but still won't start. I have tried pull starting it with a four wheeler and it will only fire if i turn the kill swith off and then flip it back on it will fire once. If i'm pull starting and flipping the kill switch back and forth it will keep popping but stops when i stop. My next step would be to either replace the stator or cdi box. Does anyone know how to test the cdi box? Sorry to jack your post it wouldn't let me start my own.

harryredtrike
12-18-2009, 03:34 PM
I have a similar problem with my 350x. I just rebuild the motor. It has great compression. Its getting fuel there just seems to be intermittent spark. I replaced the coil and plug and now it has spark but still won't start. I have tried pull starting it with a four wheeler and it will only fire if i turn the kill swith off and then flip it back on it will fire once. If i'm pull starting and flipping the kill switch back and forth it will keep popping but stops when i stop. My next step would be to either replace the stator or cdi box. Does anyone know how to test the cdi box? Sorry to jack your post it wouldn't let me start my own.

start a new thread.welcome to 3ww.