PDA

View Full Version : Making your own head pipe.

2hundredx
08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok a guy told me you can get a peice if pipe, fill and pack it tightly with sand. U can then bend it without crimping it to make your own header pipe. Is this true? And if so, what kind of metel pipe? thanks, collin

Erics350x
08-20-2009, 10:45 PM
You can but, i dont think you can bend it that much without kinking it. Why not have your local muffler shop bend it?

lndy650
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
before i had a buddy with a pipe bender i used to buy the size i wanted already in the u shape and cut and weld what i needed... your method mentioned will work for slight bends.

Thorpe
08-20-2009, 11:59 PM
http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/

Great place to buy mandrel bends for building your own pipes....

WIkid500
08-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah or go to jegs or summit and order individual bends and weld the pipe together to make a pipe. This is what I did and it worked great. You won'tget the quality by trying to ben your own pipe, and the pipe is cheap to buy already bent.

Yamahondaman
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
i'm gonna try and use some Stainless curved pieces from them handycap bathroom thing's for my head pipe .. a guy awile back did it once but YES ... Jeg's has some cool stuff for headers

WIkid500
08-21-2009, 02:02 PM
The stainless is nice. I recommend you tig weld it or have a good wire feed welder that can run stainless. Otherwise it will be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to grind the welds to make them look decent. I made a stainless exhaust for my ytm-200 at work last summer. It turned out ok. The carbon steel one for my 200x was a lot nicer to make at a professional level.

code200k
08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
The stainless is nice. I recommend you tig weld it or have a good wire feed welder that can run stainless. Otherwise it will be a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to grind the welds to make them look decent. I made a stainless exhaust for my ytm-200 at work last summer. It turned out ok. The carbon steel one for my 200x was a lot nicer to make at a professional level.

:pics: of the s.s ytm pipe... 2hundredx i you dont have the proper tools to bend it yourself try your local machine shop or forge...my dad and i did it a couple times for a lil 50 we had at his job

SWIGIN
08-21-2009, 05:16 PM
you can always just section it like i do.

most high dollar hand made 4 strokes pipes are or were hand built this way.

this pipe was welded with my 220v mig welder....tig is nicer but a mig can do just about as good.