PDA

View Full Version : alt185 carb help

El Diablo
08-19-2009, 09:20 PM
First off i would like to say hello to everybody here as this is my first post. Obviously i got a question. I did read the sticky on "carb 101" and other posts pertaining to carb trouble. I just recently got two Suzuki ALT185's that had been sitting for some time. I tear the carbs apart and they were pretty messy. After multiple carb cleanings (tear down and dip) followed by compressed air(145 psi) and them some spray cleaner then more compressed air etc etc I can't get any adjustment out of my air fuel screw! Forgot to mention too that i have put a carb kit in just one of them and thats the one i am posting about. also drained and cleaned tank and added a fuel filter. It doesn't matter if i have it completely closed or three turns out it is always rich. It runs great when i am out running it but at idle its just stinky and sometimes seems as if it's about to stall. So i am thinking the air bleed for the mixture screw still has some blockage and i am not getting the proper amount of air in the mixture at idle. Sound correct???? Is there anything stronger i could use to get the carbs any cleaner besides the dip and spray? I have worked on a few older street bikes that have sat but after cleaning (in dip) and then rebuild kits it has always been good afterwards. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

El Diablo
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Well i soaked the carb in dip for 3 whole days, rinsed it, blew it out and tried adjusting it again but no difference. It will run rich with the mixture screw completely closed or 3 turns out. Book say 2 1/8 turns then adjust from there. It runs fast but as soon as you let off the throttle and slow down quickly it will stall out and then to restart i need to hold the throttle open some to get going again. It seems when i blew air through it it was coming out everywhere it needed too. I beginning to wonder if the PO had overtightened the air screw. It wasn't bent or broken so i can't tell. Maybe a weak spark? Anybody? Anything?

MonroeMike
08-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the board.

Did you actually look through the jets, to make sure they had no blockage. I've soaked mine for days and they were still clogged.

El Diablo
08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Yep looked through them, sprayed them, shot air through them cleaned again then finally replaced them. Changed all o rings, checked float height. I tried it with the air filter out hoping it would lean it out some and nothing there. I am about to as we speak go take the airbox out and try it then. Totally unrestricted. All the jets are stock size, needle clip in the correct position not sure if it would effect it at idle. Don't think it supposed to but checked it anyway. I am running out of things to check. It's got to be something stupid.