PDA

View Full Version : It finally starts and runs!

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Sorry for the negative attitude in that last thread I was just at my wits end with this motor. I decided to tinker with it a bit more tonight, I rotated the pulse generator and put on the original Japanese Carb (not the shitty chinese "new" one I got). I was able to kick start it this time too (for the very first time) but I have to hold the throttle completely open for it to fire and if I let off the throttle at all it dies right away. I got it to start in all 3 choke positions as well but same thing, you have to have the throttle fully open so does this still sound like a timing issue to you guys or is it more of a carb thing?

Thanks again for all the help, this forum has been my best resource for info considering the manuals leave out important info that they assume you just know. :TrikesOwn

Skip to page 2, it runs now!

userj8670
08-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Sounds like your flooding out....You got way to much gas running into that engine?

oscarmayer
08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
yea adjsut the mixture screwa dn the needle clip needs to be put back to the center clip position.

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok cool I'll try that, does it sound like it could still be the valves or timing at all? I had to advance the timing on the pulse generator to get it to start.

Macs
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
sounds like it is mainly a carb issue.

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
yea adjsut the mixture screwa dn the needle clip needs to be put back to the center clip position.

Are you talking about hte jet needle? Because the manual says for 1983 models it should be in the center (3rd) position but after '83 it should be int he 4th position. And I should probably just lean it out a bit and see if it starts?

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
One clip position isn't gonna make it run that horribly wrong.

I'm sure you bought the new one hoping you could toss it on and all would be well. Have you taken the old carb off, removed every jet, cleaned them spotless and reinstalled them??

Sometimes changing too many things at the same time creates confusuion.......

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 12:49 PM
One clip position isn't gonna make it run that horribly wrong.

I'm sure you bought the new one hoping you could toss it on and all would be well. Have you taken the old carb off, removed every jet, cleaned them spotless and reinstalled them??

Sometimes changing too many things at the same time creates confusuion.......

I haven't taken apart the old carb yet, the old owner said it didn't work but I guess he was wrong.....I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow, that motor for sale is still looking pretty nice.....I just hope I can get this one running!

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Haha I got it to run for a bit then I launched through the bushes almost on to the street hahahahaha :w00t:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2670/3834778650_3916335ecf.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3833986025_eeb8175271.jpg

Russell 350X
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Set the clip on the needle in the middle, and set the a/f mix screw 1 1/8 turns out and go from there.

Also, is the carb clean?

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Set the clip on the needle in the middle, and set the a/f mix screw 1 1/8 turns out and go from there.

Also, is the carb clean?

Are you sure, the manual says for atc's '83 and up set it in the 4th slot? Where is the A/F mixture screw on this carb? I adjust a lot of carbs on smaller things like RC cars but never a 3-wheeler, this is a new process for me :beer

Russell 350X
08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
If you have a manual then set the carb to what it says.

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
More importantly - I'm still waiting for you to say : "I have removed every jet, cleaned them spotless and made sure I can see daylight thru them"

From what I gather, you have to basically hold it wide open to run which sounds like plugged jets and not fine tuning to me......

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 06:34 PM
If you have a manual then set the carb to what it says.

Nowhere in the manual does it mention the air/fuel mixtute screw. And I plan on cleaning the jets!

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Great :beer, but please understand that nothing can be diagnosed without things like the carb spotless and valve timing spot on.

I usually "scribe" where that 85 style pulse generator plate position is/was. But I've never had to advance or retard it if the motor was fresh and the valve timing dead nuts.

As far as the air screw goes, it is under the carb and towards the front of it. I fix dozens of bikes a year and I don't have a manual for all of them, so I count the turns in to lightly bottom it and then remove it and inspect it. The order goes - screw, spring, washer and then the oring which is VERY important as well as the airscrew tip which can't be squashed flat or bent from over tightening. If that screw is off or the o-ring bad, it can make warm starting and idling near impossible.

This is what happens all the time, somebody does some work on an engine and it won't fire or run right; The next thing you know were discussing ignition timing, carburetors and you'll have someone tell you the coil might be bad etc etc.

I didn't follow this from the beginning. BUT, if you have compression, set that plate at the notch, valve timing dead on and not leaking, have a clean carb somewhat near the correct settings and all the other basics - it should run.

What happens usually is something small is overlooked and then you start wondering what else might be wrong and start second guessing every aspect of ignition, timing and carburetion - when it was probably (hopefully :D) something very simple to begin with.

TrailerRider
08-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Congrats on knowing the motor works. Now Stop fiddling with stuff and clean the carb. Take it apart and clean it, Take it apart and clean it,Take it apart and clean it. Did you get that :D I have had so many weird ass issues with trikes and any small motor to find out a jet was plugged/clogged or not flowwng due to slight restrictions. These carbs are very simple and easy to clean. LIke said put all specs back to stock and AFTER you have cleaned carb then adjust it to spec in your manual and then try to start it. I bet you get a better result, and this hold thebreak. Don't go into the bushes again..lol Next pics I expect to see is you showing her off. :TrikesOwn

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Congrats on knowing the motor works. Now Stop fiddling with stuff and clean the carb. Take it apart and clean it, Take it apart and clean it,Take it apart and clean it. Did you get that :D I have had so many weird ass issues with trikes and any small motor to find out a jet was plugged/clogged or not flowwng due to slight restrictions. These carbs are very simple and easy to clean. LIke said put all specs back to stock and AFTER you have cleaned carb then adjust it to spec in your manual and then try to start it. I bet you get a better result, and this hold thebreak. Don't go into the bushes again..lol Next pics I expect to see is you showing her off. :TrikesOwn

haha thanks for the help guys, the girlfriend just got her wisdom teeth pulled so I gotta take care of her before the trike for a few days haha. I'll kee you updated, and we had to hold it WOT to start it when push starting it and man that thing just took off, no way to turn on cement WOT in 2nd gear on a trike haha so I just went straight which happened to be giant bushes :twisted:

inv3ctiv3
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I just went out there and tried to kick start it.......fires up instantly and idles fine and I didn't change ANYTHING!

Dirtcrasher
08-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Tell the girlfriend to give you her pain meds and You'll be able to fix the world :beer :lol:

Tell her all she needs is Advil :D

oscarmayer
08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
sweet now go ride!!!

inv3ctiv3
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I seriously can't believe it! I am waiting on a few things before I actually drive it....I need an exhaust, I have a header but it is not the stock header (the rear fender won't even fit on with it...) and I need to go get the bolt that holds the clutch cable to the crank case so I can test and see if the clutch works and how the gears feel. Is it bad to drive for a bit with just the header and no muffler?

Dirtcrasher
08-19-2009, 12:19 PM
^ YES!! Gonna run real lean, could burn the valves - be PATIENT!!

oscarmayer
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
get some jets too! so tyou can adjsut for good tuning!!!

inv3ctiv3
08-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I need to rebuild the front shocks, does any sell a rebuild kit? I may just add fluid/air and see if they leak. I also want a throttle cable and an exhaust!