PDA

View Full Version : 1983 YTM200K Carb problems! help!

TriMoto200_1983
08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
hello my name is nick. I have a 1983 YTM200K which i have bought about 2 months ago. The bike is in mint condition, the only thing wrong with it is, it idles way too fast. When i first start the engine, it will idle perfect. I keep the bike in neutral, and give it a few shots of gas, a little more each time, and when i give it a shot of gas just past half throttle, the bike will start to rev really high, not at a constant revv, but higher and higher every second, so i have to turn the bike off. I had the carburetor taken aprt a million times, and cleaned it out. But its still the same thing. Ive bought an owners manual off of ebay which shows the air screw adjustments which is 2 1/4 turns out. +or- 1/2 a turn. ive tried it all but it still happens....i have no idea what the problem could be. ive tried looking for a cab on ebay but theres absolutely no carbs on there to fit, but a million for the honda atc's.... i dont know why, but anyways.... the only place i can find a carb is on www.bikebandit.com. i can get a OEM carb for 286 bucks, or an aftermaket one which is about 70 bucks....the only thing is, the pic of the aftermarket one looks nothing like the original except the intake and outake holes. 22mm and 49mm.....anybody know if they would work....heres a link to the website......http://www.bikebandit.com/product/16986?m=8791&t=1

if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it.... if you know someone who has a carb for sale please let me know! thanks....

Macs
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Luke, you need to check your intake boot. It sounds like it might be cracked. that or you are not rebuilding the carb right.

EDIT: I must apologize. I thought you were another member. I just read the question and thought................

TriMoto200_1983
08-17-2009, 10:52 PM
you're right the intake boot was cracked, but i went to canadian tire and bought a radiator hose the exact same size as the intake boot, cut it the right length, clamped it back on, and its the ezact same thing.....turns out the orignal intake boot was cracked on the outside, but not all the way through....

Lukeatc185
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
lol barry man i must be on your mind. hes nick.. ahahahaha

Macs
08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
lol barry man i must be on your mind. hes nick.. ahahahaha

Hey, both yammies, both from canada, come on. You all look the same to us.

Lukeatc185
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
there is a vent on your carb. it faces up. i never had one on mine. and it would do that. i bought a bolt that would thread on drilled a hole through it with my drill press. same thing. bought another bolt and just plugged it completely and it worked.

Lukeatc185
08-17-2009, 11:08 PM
lmao barry man

MTS
08-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Your throttle cable Hanging up...?

3WheelinMan
08-26-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm thinking the carb, cable, and vent are all just fine! Here's your problem... the needle on the bottom of the slide isn't properly attached and is sliding up and down freely on it's own independent of your throttle input! Take the top off of your carb and if you can easily move the main needle up and down on the slide, then it's definitely the problem... my 225DX was doing the exact same thing when I first brought it home! Took my awhile to figure out that was the problem but it makes sense and is easily fixed... the special washer that is supposed to hold the needle and clip in place likes to pop out of place inside the spring or is missing entirely. Good luck and happy 3-wheelin!