PDA

View Full Version : Long time but back in the club again

ademero
08-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi all, just picked up a 82 atc 200, 83 atc 185s and 84 200s. Been about 15 years since I had a trike, first one was a 125m. Feeling like a kid again hehe. :D

Been checking out the site, this place is awesome! :TrikesOwn

Anyways, just been playing around with them. The 185s runs/drives good (smokes a tiny bit), the 200s is missing a bunch of parts off it and the atc 200 isnt running.

Worked on the atc 200 tonight, had no spark. Guy said it died, no spark, he replaced the pulse generator with a used one, ran it for ten minutes and then went to start it later and had no spark again. So I checked it out, swapped out the pulse generator with the "parts bike", still no spark. Checked the resistance of the stator several times, tried cranking it etc. infinite resistance. Checked the good bike, made sure I had the right wire. Went back and checked again suddenly had 224ohms. No spark still. Swapped spark plug wire, got spark. Tried starting it, now not getting any fuel (will deal with that tomorrow). For kicks I put the original spark plug wire on before I came in and have spark. Wiggled wire around, etc. never lost it again. Bad connection in the coil? Stators strange too with the resistance. Going to check all the grounds I guess?

Would have tried swapping cdi, but plug is different then the 200s

Going to play with it more tomorrow, get a new fuel line, clean the carb and see if I can get it fired up. Will take some pictures to post as well.

dcreel
08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
:welcome: to the club

ademero
08-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Worked on that ATC 200 for several hours to get it fired up, cleaned carb, checked spark, squirted fuel in carb. No attempts to fire. Spark plug would not be very wet, etc. scratched my head, checked timing and was firing 180 degrees out. Loosened off the center bolt and the pulse rotor was free wheeling on cam. Guess he pulled the pulse rotor and the dowel pin fell out, found it laying there. :crazy:

First pull fired up and running good!! :Bounce Took it for a quick ride, need to adjust the clutch as its slips quite a bit when taking off.

MonroeMike
08-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Glad to hear it's running. Post some pics when you get a chance.

ademero
08-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Adjusted the clutch, still slipping bad at take off, guess thats my next project... Before I pull it apart, See if the clutch is good in 200s to put in the atc 200 or just buy new?

Anyone know if the fuel tank and rear fenders/rack from a 84 200s will fit on the 82 200?

The 82 ATC200 with a dirt bike tank on it, have original but it leaks. Also have the rear fenders..

http://i28.tinypic.com/4trj3a.jpg

The 83 185s

http://i31.tinypic.com/29c2rg4.jpg

The 84 200s

http://i27.tinypic.com/2nlsajr.jpg

JasonB
08-15-2009, 10:09 PM
dont know if it was posted but what did you pay for all them if you dont mind me asking? Second, welcome back to the club! Bikes look like good riders, makes me with my brother would get his 84 200s back in working order again.

sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what your doing too, thats always good to see. visit daily and post often!!

ademero
08-15-2009, 10:58 PM
bought the 82 200 for $350cdn and the other 2 together for $500cdn.

Changed the oil in the 82, clutch seems to be working a bit better.

My 5 year old daughter was bugging me like crazy to go riding today, hopefully its going to be nicer tomorrow and can see what these can do. Wife hasn't been on one in probably 15 years as well. Going to be some 1st gear cruising lol

MonroeMike
08-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Is there some reason you don't want to take parts from the 82 200 and put them on the 84 200s, to make it a runner? It already has the rack, fenders. tank, fenders and front suspension.

ademero
08-15-2009, 11:27 PM
hmmmm yah I guess I could do that, would have to gut the other one as the brakes are ng, the throttle/cable is gone, light switch gone, no headlight, muffler broken, wiring is hacked up, no chain LOL Tires are really good though. Than get that 200s motor running and put it in the atc200 later and slowly build up the parts to get it restored. Has good compression, think it needs a stator as I cant get a resistance reading

Hey, would the 200s fender/rack fit on the 185s? We're taking 2 of these hunting in the fall, so would like atleast one with a rack and I dont want to cut holes in the fenders.

MonroeMike
08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess that would be a lot of work.

As far as the fender/rack, I don't have a S model, someone will have to chime in, or you'll just have to try it.

ademero
08-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Had a look, their different. the 185s has a single latch system that removes the whole seat and fender. the 200s fender is bolted to the frame.

Hmmmm maybe design something for the 185s to mount on the rear bar and have it braced down just in front of the wheels on the frame so I dont hack the fender.

theiizz08
08-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Welcome back they all look great have fun:TrikesOwn :beer