PDA

View Full Version : Question about 82' 110cc - Question about 85' I could buy

QCR77
08-12-2009, 11:58 PM
whats up everyone. its great to be a part of your community. I understand how helpful forums can be and all of my research pointed to this one! I recently bought an 82' Honda 110cc off of craigslist to cruise around the pits at the dirt track where i race. (stock cars) i got it for 350 and put 50 into a tuneup/parts it needed and its running great. its perfect for what i wanted - lightweight and doesnt take up too much space in the back of my truck. i do have some questions though and i also need some advice on possibly purchasing another one. i really did buy that little 110 solely for the purpose of convenience at the track, but dang its fun to ride through the trails of the woods behind my house. and whats better than riding trails - riding trails with a buddy ! so here are my questions and i really do appreciate any info/advice that i might get.

about the 110cc- the part i had to buy was the cam chain tensioner springs, the little screw in tensioner and the bottom bolt with washer. the little silver tube was still in there. so i installed it and it seems great but i cant tell if the slight metalic noise is the chain or the cam chain rubbing. when i say slight, i mean you have to listen real hard for it. and you can only hear it when you rev it up and let off real fast. is that just the chain recoiling a little? and when i installed the tensioner i just screwed it all the way up in there. i understand there is another tensioner that runs horizontal as apposed to the vertical one i installed. any input on the cam tensioner would be great.
on the side with the pull starter , up closer to the seat, there is a splined bolt that comes out and to the left of it is an "N" with a arrow pointing at the little bolt with splines on it. i know this is a prob a dumb question and i have my ideas, but what is that for?
on the carb towards the top , right in the middle, is a nipple with no hose on it, and if you rock the atc gas will trickle out one bubble at a time. i know this aint good, but dont have a manual to figure out what/where to run a hose.

about this 85' for sale- its a ATC ES 200. looks kinda goofy actually. like its a trail trike. anyway its in decent shape. the guy wanted 800, but i offered him 450 so he calls me and says that he used to ride it all the time at his ranch, but he bought a rhino. he said it has a new battery, but it wont start unless you pull it with something and drop it into gear. once running he said you can do whatever you want, go wherever, no prob. he thinks the carb needs to be rebuilt but that makes no sense to me. he said when you try to start it, it will just rur-rur-rur and every now and then you'll get pops (combustion) like it wants to start. what do yall think? and feel free to ask for more info, cause we talked for a while. i just gave the abreviated version.

once again, thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help abd i plan on learning about these ATC's and passing the help onto others.

daniel_250r
08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
the 85 is most likely a 250 big red

QCR77
08-13-2009, 12:24 AM
the 85 is most likely a 250 big red

is that good or bad? i googled it and it does indeed look very similar

daniel_250r
08-13-2009, 12:46 AM
i would take an 85 over my 84, main advantage is rear suspension and much better front as well

QCR77
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
so should i offer $400 and then spend $50 to fix it ? i just think if it runs, and the only prob is getting it started then it might be an easy fix

daniel_250r
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
i doubt you will regret it

QCR77
08-13-2009, 05:22 PM
i doubt you will regret it

ok. fair enough. there is also a 200s that looks a little sportier and the guy wants $800 OBO. so i could prob offer $600 for a 200s that runs and starts perfect or $400 for a big red that runs but has starting issues. what would you do ?

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
the starting issue is probably a stator. its a common problem when they start getting weak and are going to die out soon. no way its the carb if it runs nice after u get it going.

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
i would take a 250 bigred over a 200s, but thats just me :)

QCR77
08-13-2009, 05:45 PM
the starting issue is probably a stator. its a common problem when they start getting weak and are going to die out soon. no way its the carb if it runs nice after u get it going.

are you saying the stator is gonna die soon or the engine as a whole is on its last leg? can you find new or used stators? how much we talkin about ?

QCR77
08-13-2009, 05:49 PM
i would take a 250 bigred over a 200s, but thats just me :)
yeah my buddy liked the big red with the racks n stuff. i understand that its a classic and prob very good on trails n stuff, but to me the 200s is much sportier looking and seems to be more versatile. but then again i dont know jack about atc's yet.

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM
if it runs nice when u pull it. its either compression or stator. so just test the compression. if its got compression. its most likely a stator. and i think there around $50 im not 100% sure on that.

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
but u can easily test the stator with a manual. some one will surly post a manual now.. lol use a ohm meter and check the book and the stator.

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
if its got bad compression it might smoke alot. unless its got like a cracked head or something. but if its got low compression it could be alot of things. gasket leaking. heads cracked or warped. rings are bad. piston is bad.. or the sleeve is just worn out and you will need to bore and get an oversized piston. just things to think about. but if you go there with a compression tester. an ohm meter. you should be alright.

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:19 PM
do i need a tool to test compression or do you just pull the plug and use a finger?

id love it if someone posted a manual. once you have the manual , how do you use it to test the stator?

sorry for the dumb questions, im just used to working on my racecar, not an atc. but im willing to learn

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:22 PM
you need the ohm meter. and the manual will tell you what the meter should read. i would use a compression test tool. there handy to have if you plan on working on any engine. and there not overly expensive for a tool. im not sure if the big red had a compression lever if it does dont use it pull it with the plug in. if its insanely hard to pull its got decent compression,

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:23 PM
there is also a 1970 US90 on craigslist . says it needs a plug wire, new seat and carb cleaning. he wants 600

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
i like bigger trikes. i want to get a 70 and put a 110 in it soon. thats my next project when im done the 225dxk

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:27 PM
if it had bad compression would it run real slow, or is there no way of knowing unless you test it. the more info im getting the lower my offer seems to be getting. lol

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:30 PM
there would be some powerloss. if its really bad but there little to no smoke. its probably a gasket. or warped/cracked head. or valve seals can do it too. if it smokes its probably ring/piston/sleeve.

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:32 PM
i mean he wanted 800 at first, and i offer 450 and he says ok but.... so i might go see it and lowball him even more. i wish i had more free cash right now, i'd just go buy that 200s and be done.

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:36 PM
there would be some powerloss. if its really bad but there little to no smoke. its probably a gasket. or warped/cracked head. or valve seals can do it too. if it smokes its probably ring/piston/sleeve.

so best case scenario , i go see it and it doesnt smoke and once running it runs and drives like a champ. then would you still be worried about the internals?

BTW, is it rough on the tranny to pull it with a quad and drop it into gear like that?

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:38 PM
i dont think its good for it. but it has a auto clutch people use downgearing to slow down often. its probably hard wear on the clutch pads.

QCR77
08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
alright. thanks a bunch for your help luke

Lukeatc185
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
no problem, this is wack though this has to be the longest a thread has gone without a manual post when one was brought up in a thread.. lol

dz
08-14-2009, 07:35 AM
For your 110 questions. That nipple on the side of the carb. is the gas over flow. When extra gas is accumulating in the carb., whether the float height is set wrong or there is a piece of debris blocking the float needle from closing all the way would cause that. How far do you have to tilt/rock it before it starts leaking, if it correct you should really have to have it sideways for it to leak. A hose is supposed to get routed towards the front of the engine by the pull starter, there is supposed to be a piece of plastic coated metal bent in like a U shape where the hoses for the carb. go.

As for the splined shaft next to the pull start with the N, there is actually supposed to be a red button with an arrow on it that points to N when you are in neutral. It's just a neutral indicator. I would take a Big Red 250 over a 200s anyday, its a much more comfortable ride.

QCR77
08-14-2009, 02:04 PM
thanks for the answers DZ. the black hose on the carb that runs down through a metal "U" is on the front of the carb though. if im sitting on the trike the nipple im talking about is pointed due left. the nipple with a hose that runs down through a metal loop is pointed straight ahead. anyway, thanks again. im gonna go load my camaro and head to the dirt track. hopefully the atc serves its purpose tonight !

QCR77
08-16-2009, 04:21 PM
well im supposed to go look at that 85 today. the guy called me friday and said they got it to where it starts everytime now.